• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Boy, am I bad!!

mrkillie

Members
I was away on business most of the summer and the fish suffered a bit. I did some quickie water changes when I had a chance and the wife fed them sparingly while I was gone. The weeks I was home, they got fed a lot better, but I really didn't watch them much as I had plenty of work to do with my other clients and getting caught up on things around the house and yard.

One of my tanks is a 100 gallon that I have 6 Tropheus sp. Ikola Kaiser, 4 adult Chalinochromis ndoboi and 5 subadult ndoboi. One time when I was home I noticed the Tropheus engaging in what I thought to be spawning behavior, but I didn't have time to care for the fry so I just let nature take its course. The ndoboi also seemed to be doing their thing when I got back for good in early Oct. When I finally had a chance to do some serious maintenance, I couldn't even see inside the tank. After I cleaned the glass and did a water change I noticed some tiny little ndoboi fry in the tank. Not quite ready to deal with fry yet, I again decided to let nature take its course-partially because where I saw the fry was where I was do some serious blind syphoning and figured there weren't many left anyway. All I ever saw was 1 or 2 at a time.

Well, i just finished feeding the fish for the day and noticed some 1/2 inch or better youngsters of the ndoboi swimming about the rocks and coral I have in the tank. I decided to take a closer look and I counted at least 9 at one point, not worried about a thing, swimming around having a grand ole time.

Then I decided to check out the Tropheus. They are always chasing each other the length of the tank (its an old style 6 foot long 100 gallon). I count the six, and think hey, one of them didn't grow at all. Then I look again and the original 6 are all there, 3 1/2 inches or so, plus one about 1+ inch long. You'd think I would notice something like that a little sooner!!!!

I am going to have to step up the maintenance on that tank with all the new bodies in there!

Joel

dogofwar

CCA Members
I've had the best luck with lamps, julies and other tang substrate spawners by giving them peace: fewer and smaller water changes than other fish I keep

Matt

mrkillie

Members
I've had the best luck with lamps, julies and other tang substrate spawners by giving them peace: fewer and smaller water changes than other fish I keep

Matt

They get about 50% once a month. The most astonishing part for me is that the only filtration is 1 large sponge filter in the tank. That's it. The ndoboi actually set up shop on the other end of the tank from the filter, so maybe they do like it a bit calmer. I'll have to remember that with my other tangs.

Joel

mrkillie

Members
wanna get rid of about 4 fry?

I'll have to get back to you on that. I think I'm gonna try to fish some out this weekend whilst doing maintenance and go from there. I have a 10 gallon tank I can use for them.

I was, however, planning to bring the subadults to the January meeting, weather permitting. They are about 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 inches right now.

Joel

minifoot77

Members
I'll have to get back to you on that. I think I'm gonna try to fish some out this weekend whilst doing maintenance and go from there. I have a 10 gallon tank I can use for them.

I was, however, planning to bring the subadults to the January meeting, weather permitting. They are about 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 inches right now.

Joel

i'll bring my money :)