• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

BLUE SPAWN!! BG's in the Making!

Lively

Members
I know, it's been forever since I've posted here! Life has had me on a real roller coaster ride! But, I had to make time to let you all know that this afternoon my beautiful Blue and his lovely little mate laid their first spawn.

I also noted, I forgot to reup my membership... that needs to be rectified, now doesn't.

I dearly miss you guys.

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
I don't care what you breed...You're back is all that matters! Just kidding, of course we're excited you breed some Blue fishy. LOL!

Last edited:

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
There is my rebuttal Charlie, satisfied? I stand corrected council;)

Don't pay mind to charlie Stacy, we're just happy to have you back honey!

Lively

Members
I'm really hoping I'll be able to make it to next weeks meeting, I saw it's the 19th instead of the 12th this month...

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Congrats on the spawn! I know it's been a long time in the making.

Lively

Members
It'll be at least another year before I see the Blues...maybe even two years - but that's ok! I knew it was a long process when I decided I wanted to do it :) Blue Boy is just gorgeous and the mama takes after her mama - fierce fish. She's half the size of Blue.

She actually paired up with another regular Dempsey last month and they had a spawn. First spawn for her and him and in a tank with other Dempsey's - not only did they have a successful spawn, but also they did a great job of protecting the wigglers! After about a week, I caught her and put her in the tank with Blue. They weren't getting along so well, so I pulled some other Dempsey's out of the tank (left her previous beau to protect his fry - he's done a bang up job of it, too!) didn't take long after that for them to pair up.

Because there are other Dempsey's in the tank, I watched the whole process - no doubt, the Blue is the Daddy.

Eggs were laid about 24 hours ago… a couple are dead but not nearly as many as I’d expect. I’d guestimate there are between 200-300 eggs total and I count 6 that are not viable anymore…

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
If you are able to post a pic of the tank, please do so. I need aquascape pointers. My dempseys show no interest in breeding and are rather skittish despite the amount of water I change weekly and the FX5 on their tank.
If you wanted to speed up your process, I could probably help you out. I have 5 EBJD at the moment.

Lively

Members
Thanks everone for the welcome back... it feels good getting into the old routine!

Andrew, My aquascape is pretty simple, sand substrate and flat rocks. I usually have a few set up vertical for them to hide behind, but at least two are laid flat and have jutting edges so they can hide in overhangs. I haven’t been doing as many water changes as normal, bum foot made it really difficult to do. Temperature doesn’t seem to make a difference with my guys either – one tank is about 78 and the other is 72. I can’t think of anything that triggered 3 sets of bonded pairs.

How big are your Blues? I'm down to one. Mine’s around 5 1/2†from tip to tale. I’ve one female that I really want to use – but she’s just a bit too small for my Blue – but her shape and coloring are awesome.

Here are the best pics I could get of my tank, they need a good cleaning but I’m not doing a thing until my eggs hatch and are free swimmers! Couldn't resist posting an updated one of the Blue... The last pic is of the spawning rock...

DSC_4686.jpg

DSC_4692.jpg

DSC_4684.jpg

DSC_4690.jpg

Lively

Members
Either the spawn is lost, or she's one of the best wiggler hider's I've ever seen. She's seems to be protecting a different part of the tank, so I'm hopeful that it's the later!