• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Blue Gene Jack Dempsey For Sale

Cartel

Members
When I got into cichlids (like 3 months ago) I originally wanted to have an all EBJD tank until i realized how much itd cost me for a little 2in fish which I wasnt sure would even make it!

Lively

Members
EB's are definately not a fish for everyone - I do think that if they were sold larger that it would diminsh the death rate - but they would command much higher prices and be a significantly smaller market.

They were going for about $20 each on aquabid last week - seemed to be a bit of a bidding war going on.

Do you know what lines your Blues came from Danio?

Edited to say - there is a 4.5" one up for bid on AquaBid right now - starting $100.

Last edited:

Danio27

Members
They are not that difficult to keep. I've raised a total of 9 EBs from ~2" to adults without any loss.

Lively, I do not know what lines they came from. I bougth mine at the local pet store.

Lively

Members
Danio -

I don't know why some people have no problems while others experience almost 100% loss rates. I've been scouring the internet for the last 2 months - and more often than not I see posts from people having problems. But then there are people like you who have no issues at all... I guess that's true of many fish.

Do you still have the Blues that are the parents? If you do, could you take a couple of quick pics and post them?

Danio27

Members
It depends on the stock. I am lucky to get healthy fish.
No, I do not have the parent blues anymore. I needed room and I had to bring them back to the store for credits.

mrkillie

Members
OK, maybe I'm a bit slow, but it makes no sense to me that fry that are blue from a blue gene carrying regular x blue would be stronger or more likely to survive than those from a direct pairing of blue fish. They both have the same gene structure, no? Both are BB. If that combination is particularly weak, then I can see a smaller percentage of fry surviving. Which explains why you don't get a full 50% blues from the blue - blue gene carrier cross.

Why wouldn't you just get a small number of fry that survive from a blue - blue cross and would all be blue? I have to say that the "myth" that Lively reported of somewhat successful blue-blue pairings sounds quite feasible to me.

Joel

I can see that

danger_chicken

Swim Fishy Swim!
If you search MFK you'll find a pretty detailed explaination of genes and EBJD. It makes sense when somebody that really understands genes science explains it. I understand enough to comprehend it but not explain it.

I got mine (2) online for $13 ea. I lost one the first week, but the other is doing great gettting close to 3". It took a week to get him to eat. I know someone selling them for $16ea.

Lively

Members
OK, maybe I'm a bit slow, but it makes no sense to me that fry that are blue from a blue gene carrying regular x blue would be stronger or more likely to survive than those from a direct pairing of blue fish. They both have the same gene structure, no? Both are BB. If that combination is particularly weak, then I can see a smaller percentage of fry surviving. Which explains why you don't get a full 50% blues from the blue - blue gene carrier cross.

Why wouldn't you just get a small number of fry that survive from a blue - blue cross and would all be blue? I have to say that the "myth" that Lively reported of somewhat successful blue-blue pairings sounds quite feasible to me.

Joel

I can see that

The Blue gene seems to be like a genetic disease - there isn't enough science behind what I'm saying for me to be 100% certian this is the case - but it's a valid explination based on what people have observed. It seems, some Blues from Blue and Blue Gene pairings only get the good part as dominant - the genes that make them blue and others get the bad parts - pop eye, beak nose, other deformaties and the propensity to parasites. If you pair a blue and a blue - my understanding from what I've read 99.9% get all the bad stuff as dominant.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I've never kept electric blue dempseys (EBJD) or even those with the (recessive) gene for it.

I'd assume the weakness of the EBJD strain comes from either the mutation itself (that causes them to be different than "regular" JDs) and/or the level of inbreeding required to develop them.

As the recessive gene is not visible, it would be good to have some proof from the seller...but I guess the bottom line is that you have to take his word for it.

Matt

Lively

Members
I'd assume the weakness of the EBJD strain comes from either the mutation itself (that causes them to be different than "regular" JDs) and/or the level of inbreeding required to develop them.

As the recessive gene is not visible, it would be good to have some proof from the seller...but I guess the bottom line is that you have to take his word for it.

Matt

The common consensus of those that breed is a combo of both, apparently the physical deformaties are a fairly new issue and most people believe all the color morphs come from one breeding pair that was found in an hobbiest aquarium 20 odd years ago.

Looking at this from stricly a breeding perspective - even accepting that these are BGJD's - $100 for two fish that haven't even paired (and forced pairing of JD's can be hazardous - my regular JD's are forced and he almost killed her before they bonded) and no pics of parents to even guess at the quality of spawn - if the fish do pair up is a risk I'm not ready for - but that's just me.

Danio27

Members
Forcing them them to bond is a bad idea. Four siblings of these fish pair and I am keeping these two pairs for myself. If anyone wants to breed, it's best to let one of the BGs to bond with your own EBs. I have two adult EBs and I'll let them bond with one of these guys.

It's no wonder that EBs are expensive. It took me more than a year to grow the EBs to adults then let them bond with the regular jack dempsey. It took another six months before I got a successful spawn of BGs.

Regular jack dempseys are so easy to breed that's why they are sold for a few bucks each.

Lively

Members
Danio -

Do you have anything besides your word that these are actually Blue Gene? Put yourself in my (our) shoes. When you started out doing this - would you have trusted someone who just joined a forum claiming to sell fish that are rare as hens teeth? Most breeders of Blues do not want to sell BGEBs for one of two reasons

1) limiting BG's keeps the price of Blues up or

2) lessens the chance of further inbreeding of the color morph

Danio27

Members
Lively,

I am not a "breeder", it's a hobby. I know it'll be a challenge and that's why I am doing it. I am offering these for sale in Baltimore. All I can say is that you know where I live and if they are not BGs, you can always come back and get me. Hehe.

I need room to breed, that's why I am selling the extras. It's a waste to bring them to the pet store in exchange for credits. They'll give me a few bucks for each and mix them with the regular dempsey.

Lively

Members
LOL Danio... you could move...

And, yeah you are a breeder - you're a hobby breeder but a breeder all the same.