• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Blue Gene Jack Dempsey For Sale

Danio27

Members
Yeah, I guess I am a hobby breeder. I am not interested in keeping the prices up or lessen the inbreeding. I just want to know if I can breed EBs.

My next breeding projects are:

1) Red spot severum
2) Geophagus Sp. "Red head Tapajos"

I have both of these in my tanks.

Danio27

Members
Blue Gene Jack Dempsey

One of the blue gene pairs that I kept for myself laid eggs and the fry hatched. Below are the pictures of the mother and the fry.

Female Blue Gene JD.jpg

EB Fry-3.jpg

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
If two blue gene jacks breed, many of the fry are going to carry the double dominant gene and will not be blue gene carriers. With that being said, buyer beware that you may not be getting a jack that carries the blue gene. It's possible, but since the coloring is basically the same as a normal jack dempsey, there is no way to tell. I've been at this project myself for years now. Very difficult to get the correct mix.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
While this is a very old thread that was bumped back to the top, I'll still comment.

I thought that most folks who have success with breeding EBJDs bred a BG with an EB to get approximately 50% EBJD fry. I have not heard about a lot of success trying to breed 2 BGJDs to get 25% EBJD fry.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Right. I was trying in the hopes that I could do it. Turns out it's nearly impossible. And the percentages are way lower than the simple 25, 50, 75, 100 percent stuff. I found out very quickly that the blue gene jacks will not produce blue fry readily. I also found out from an original breeder that breeding Blue Gene carrier to Blue Gene carrier produces much less than 50% carriers. This is an EXTREMELY recessive gene and is not easy to breed. You end up with a lot of normal jack dempseys.