• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Blood Parrot

Emily31996

Members
First off, I don't need a lecture on how im a terrible person for buying a man made fish and i dont need a list of deformities, etc. I have them and I'm keeping them and I intend to give them the best life possible :)
So anyways, I've had a pair of parrots for a few months and they're both juveniles and are just now beginning to turn orange. They get along super well and show no aggression toward each other. I was wondering if anyone had experience with these fish and if so, I was curious if they would remain friendly or get more aggressive toward each other when they get older..
(55 gallon tank currently)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I've never kept them myself, but heard that they are like any other cichlid in that there is a possibility that they will get aggressive as they reach adulthood.

rich_one

Members
First off, welcome to CCA! I'm not a fan of parrots, but I'm not on a pulpit either. Good luck with them!

-Rich

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Never had any but I can imagine like most Cichlids, if one gets a little bigger than the other, there could be an issue.
But every fish is different, just like every person is different. We and they each have our own personalities and you never know.
Just watch and enjoy them. If a problem starts then it will be MTS time. LOL (multi tank syndrome) in other words, a reason to expand into multiple tanks.

Emily31996

Members
MTS does not sound like fun, lol. I'll admit I wasn't informed of their origin when I bought them but I wouldn't redo it. They have great personality and they're fun to watch! :) thanks for the advice and positivity. It's hard to find on other forums.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ErnieG

Members
They are only aggressive when breeding they can be kept with a variety of cichlids and surpisingly some community fish, dont get happy if 2 parrot fish breed because the males are sterile. I have red texas babies from a blood parrot female x carpintis male and they are hot, blood parrots make great hybrids only the females parrots are useful for breeding and they will breed with any central american cichlid.

i keep a few of these my self and as far as aggression goes they are like any other cichlid you dont really have to worry to much about them hurting each other due to the fact that since there mouths are deformed tey can not cause damage to other fish so with that being said u should be ok