• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Black sand and geophagus

christina

CCA Members
Hi all,

I am changing my 75 gallon around and would like to try black sand. Does anyone have experience with black sand that is safe for Cory's and geophagus? The black diamond blasting sand seems to be too sharp, I have also seen one from imagitarium. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks in advance.

JLW

CCA Members
The black sand from Estes is wonderful stuff. It's so soft you can lay in it and sleep yourself (6/10, possible, not recommended). It's pricey, but it's great.

Blasting grit is not intended for aquarium use, and your mileage will vary based on its usefulness. People have found... interesting things... in there. Pieces of glass, cigarette butts(!), bits of metal, etc. I think if you sifted and cleaned it well beforehand, it would be fine for most fish, but ... the Estes sand isn't really that much more for something as small as a 75-gallon.