• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Black Hair Algae

tgrogan

Members
Ok, so just how bad is it to have black hair algae?

At least it looks black/brown...doesn't look green...the problem is that I am color blind, some shades of green and brown look the same to me.

Everyone else in the family says it's dark brown or black.

I went away for a week on vacation, and then away for another week due to a death in the family so it was all grown up by the time I got back.

I did a 60% water change at that time to reduce the nitrates. The algae is not as long as it was but is still quite prolific. I think some of them have been eating it and my Cobalt Blues and (Beautiful) Aceis all have black pigment spots on them. I don't know if that is due to stress of water quality, or from eating the algae.

I am also currently battling a fungus outbreak (most probably due to the increased stress). Some of the Red Empresses are getting beat up by the male and have a number of torn fins etc, where fungus is starting. Other fish also have white fungus spots on them so I am treating the whole tank.

I will soon do another 60% water change and may reapply another dose of fungus meds. After that I will put some Melafix in to help the fins.

So...how bad is this black/brown hair algae?

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I have never that problem that I remember. (
Getting old, the memory is the second thing to go. lol )One of the other clubs I go to has one member that askes every speaker that comes in, how to get rid of it. Short of tearing the tank down and bleaching everything, no one has given her much help.
I know some shimp may eat some but not enough and you Cichlids will eat the shimp.
Not much help, I know.

tgrogan

Members
Oh, I don't mind it being there...as long as it is not harmful to the fish. As far as I am concerned, it adds to the environment, but if it is harmful then I need to do something about it.

Steve

Members
Hi Terry,

How bad is it? That is, is it taking over the tank or spreading rapidly? How old are the light bulbs for that tank?
I've got bits of hair algae in one tank--but they've not grown v. much over several years. I wouldn't think eating it would be a problem for the fish.

Steve

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I know you do not mind it being there. I was wondering if you blocked all light for a few days would it
go away. ?????????

I was reading in TFH recently about the belief that algae needs several hours of light before it starts the phosynthisis process(spelling). The belief was that if you only have the lights on for a couple of hours, several times a day, algae will not grow. I know they did not mention hair algae but just a thought.

Steve

Members
I've used the "complete darkness" tactic to good effect when dealing with algae blooms.
I've also removed hair algae the old fashioned way: I <strike>made my son pull it out</strike> pulled out rocks and scraped it off. In fact, some of the elbow-tactic combined with additional light seems to work well. I asked about the bulbs because, as you know, the output of older bulbs starts to . . . um, I forget the technical term about the spectral output . . suck. The hair algae doesn't need quite as much light as your basic (!) green algae, so it is successful under those conditions. Thus, the increased (or improved) light gives other algae a better chance to compete against the hair algae and, hopefully, starve it (at least partially) of available nutrients.

At least, that's what I've read and what seems to work for me.

I recognize this is hardly a complete commentary and that other things can be operative. It may be just that your tank(s) got out of whack because they didn't get their accustomed treatment for a period of time. Hey, it happens. Things should swing back after a time with the resumption of "things as usual."

Cheers,
Steve

tgrogan

Members
Well,

I seemed to have found a cure...sort of.

I had to go away for a few days, and the automatic fish feeder I bought wouldn't fit under the hood :eek: .

So after three full days of not getting fed, and not having the lights on (no timer), the algae was pretty well taken care of. :p

My only concern really was whether the health of my fish was in danger.

Thanks for all your posts.