• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Black beard Algae

Hey everyone,

A while back I started a new 65 gal. "Nature aquarium". Started off by growing out the plants emersed (to avoid snails, algae, and other nasties). All was going well, until the algae appeared. First it was the Hydrocotyle, so I blacked out the entire room. I came back a week later to find it had spread to almost every plant I had and even my CO2 system. My shrimp don't look at it nor do my Otos or shrimp. So how can I get it to die off? Preferably through natural means (i.e. algae eaters, etc.), but I'm open to anything. Taking down the tank would be a pain, but replacing the plants isn't a prob. (still have the emersed forms).

Lighting: four 6,400 t5s (two on from ~6:30am-7:30pm ; other two ~8am-5pm)
Substrate: Lava rocks, then sand, the aquasoil Amazonia, then sand.
Dosing: ADA Green Bacter, Green Brighty step 1 & Brighty K (both stoped when I saw algae)
Filter: Fluval 306
Animals: a guppy, ~20 Neocaridina heteropoda (wild & rilli)(about to breed), a few invasive snails, otocinclus affinis (~14), and well over 200 malaysian trumpet snails.

Becca

Members
ARRRRRRR!!!! Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Isn't this the stuff that flying foxes love to eat???? I've had good luck using them to get rid of it on plants - of course, you may want to put the plants in a tank with them, rather than put them in a tank that might have other fish that don't appreciate their rambunctious nature.

SAEs sort of eat it and then they get big and ugly. Don't do it!

Co2 should be the answer. I rarely had much black beard when I used it. My back up plan is always overdosing with Excel. This is what I'd do:

remove by hand as much as you can --- prune affected leaves and dig wood, etc., directly in Excel and then return to the tank. Then double or even triple dose with Excel every other day. If you can use a turkey baster or eye dropper, you can also try to shoot some directly in areas you can't remove by hand or on hardware. Warning: I've never had a problem doing this with my lifestock, but I did not do it with otos.

Try increasing your C02 a bit

Stop fertlizing

Get your nitrates low

Consider getting filter media that takes out phosphates

good luck

JasonC

Members
H202 has always worked very well for me. Shut off all filters and pumps, and let the tank sit for a few to cut down on any circulation in the tank. Direct dose the peroxide w/ a syringe and let it sit for 10 or 15 minutes before restarting your filter. A couple of treatments should get it all turning bright red... all your shrimp and snails should be dog piling it then to eat it up.

chriscoli

Administrator
I've also noticed it gets bad when my bulbs need to be changed. Some people do that every six months or so.....some every year.

chriscoli

Administrator
I believe you're right. I've also noticed that some brands need to be replaced more frequently, too.

msjinkzd

invert junkie
I also wanted to mention, if you treat it with peroxide, once it turns brown/rusty, the nerite snails and shrimp are more likely to eat it. It is too physically large and "crusty" before then.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I have found that new bulbs, increased water changes (frequency and percentage removed), and reduction in the amount of feedings has played a major role in decreasing/destroying BBA.

Thanks everyone,

I went for overdosing Excel, and so far so good. Most of the algae has retreated or been eaten by the shrimp and their new babies.

Thanks for the help
Jonathan

If you don't want to.over dose the hole tank I filled a syringe with exell and locally treated last time I had an out break.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ddavila06

Members
i have found that doing double the recommended dose of excell works great! three times the normal dosing is too much and killed a few aspidoras.
i do that usually when im doing a waterchange. empty the tank halfway down, treat w the filters off. wait 15 mins or so and then fill back up :D