• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

BICHIR

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
I have to Sens. they are small though. One from Petsmart and one form HOT. The HOT I was sold as a P. Palmas but it was just a tan Sen. Tropical Lagoon has a nice sized Delhezi. HOT has Sens, albino Sens and rope fish. I am looking for a true P. Palmas.

After doing some search I think HOT got them from Segrest Farms. They list their Sens as P. Palmas in their catalog but have the correct scientific name.

anybody know where I can find a true P. Palmas. I am goin g to the dark side. I may be giving away a tank full of Africans soon.

Last edited:

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
I have to Sens. they are small though. One from Petsmart and one form HOT. The HOT I was sold as a P. Palmas but it was just a tan Sen. Tropical Lagoon has a nice sized Delhezi. HOT has Sens, albino Sens and rope fish. I am looking for a true P. Palmas.

After doing some search I think HOT got them from Segrest Farms. They list their Sens as P. Palmas in their catalog but have the correct scientific name.

anybody know where I can find a true P. Palmas. I am goin g to the dark side. I may be giving away a tank full of Africans soon.
thanks PRINCE!

kaj41354

Members
That Fish Place has had several different Polypterus over the past few months in several different sizes. They show several on their website. You could always come to our meeting on Saturday, members get 10% off that day! (Shameless promo)

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
That Fish Place has had several different Polypterus over the past few months in several different sizes. They show several on their website. You could always come to our meeting on Saturday, members get 10% off that day! (Shameless promo)
NOT ECONOMICAL TO DRIVE UP THERE FOR A COUPLE OF BICHIR BUT THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP KURT. ;)

dogofwar

CCA Members
I sold this guy when we moved from Sacramento...but he's an ornate @ 19+"...

Had him for about 5 years and primarily fed him market shrimp and earthworms.

Matt

ornate.jpg

ornate 2.jpg

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
How do you combat the bichir's gluttony? I am feeding carnivore pellets and Cichlid Gold. Two times now my gray Sen has looked like he was going to explode. I fasted hi,m for a few days and it subsided. I have to try earthworms. The shrimp scare me some imported raw shrimp have more chemicals in them that the Anacostia. I usually don't name fish but I named mine greedy and glutton.

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
If you are looking for variety this guy Toyin aka http://www.rehobothaquatics.com/index2.html has a variety of Bichirs. He used to be a listed vendor on MFK but doesn't appear to be any more. He seems to have a good rep on MFK. I am a little leery that no prices are posted. I may order from him after the new year if the price as he has some P. Palmas in stock.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I kind of indulged my bichir's gluttony - but only fed a couple of days a week.

I primarily fed raw freshwater shrimp (the ones with all of the feelers).

They key is to have tankmates that won't get eaten: when bichirs get hungry they'll hunt for food. Mine lived with mongo haps, big Syno cats and tinfoil barbs...

Matt

msjinkzd

invert junkie
I have endlicheri endlicheri and ornatapinnis. My endlis are around 2', ornate is probably about 17"
attachment.php

I feed them the new Xtreme diet, hikari massivore, market shrimp, fish fillet (white fish), etc. They are big eaters because they grow quite quickly. I feed 4x a week.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
MATT THAT WAS A NICE ONE! PRINCE THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP! I CALLED H.O.T. AND SPECIFICALLY ASKED IF THEY HAD REAL PALMAS AND NOT JUST TAN SEN. THE GUY SAID THEY HAVE THEM. WAS YOURS 15.00? IF SO ITS PROBABLY THE SAME ONE HE SOLD YOU.

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
MATT THAT WAS A NICE ONE! PRINCE THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP! I CALLED H.O.T. AND SPECIFICALLY ASKED IF THEY HAD REAL PALMAS AND NOT JUST TAN SEN. THE GUY SAID THEY HAVE THEM. WAS YOURS 15.00? IF SO ITS PROBABLY THE SAME ONE HE SOLD YOU.

Yeah mine was 15.00. But its a Sen unless they marble as they get older. I want a birth certificate for fish.

msjinkzd

invert junkie
I CAN get them, typically endlis, sens (plat or standard), delhezis, etc. Pricing depends on size. I would ONLY get them if they were all sold before bringing them in as I don't have room to grow out a ton of them and I don't have lids on many tanks (tight tight lids are a necessity for polys).

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
I CAN get them, typically endlis, sens (plat or standard), delhezis, etc. Pricing depends on size. I would ONLY get them if they were all sold before bringing them in as I don't have room to grow out a ton of them and I don't have lids on many tanks (tight tight lids are a necessity for polys).
GREAT! IM INTERSTED IN 3-4" SIZE . I WOULD LIKE TO GROW OUT MY OWN. IF YOU CAN PRICE THE SENS AND DELHEZIS AND ENDLIS THAT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANKS!:jumpy::jumpy:

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
If a small Polypterus palmas buettikofferi pops up on your list let me know. How much for a small Delhezis?

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I have a 7" ornate and a 4" delhezi. TFW has what looks to be a 10" delhezi (not sure on size) for $80.