• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Better Directions, Anyone?

Lively

Members
Montrose/Randolf is a nightmare to drive! It's now right up there on my list - just under Route 7 for local roads I'd prefer to avoid like the plague. I'm coming down 270 from the Frederick direction.

Mapquest has me going down 270 to Montrose and taking it all the way down to Georgia Ave. Is there a better way to get to the meeting? When I look at mapquest, it looks like taking 28 (Veirs Mill Rd?) would cut out much of the Montrose leg of the trip.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I don't come your way but 28 does intersect with Layhill. I come from the east by 198 - 28 - Layhill.

Lively

Members
My biggest concern is jumping out of the frying pan and landing in a fire! Is 28 just a bunch of stoplights/speedtraps and idiot drivers, too? It looks like I'd get off 270 at the exit for 28 at Rockville and follow it to Randolph, hang a right and then about 2 miles down take my left onto Georgia. Mapquest calculates it will take an extra 15 minutes going via 28.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
My biggest concern is jumping out of the frying pan and landing in a fire! Is 28 just a bunch of stoplights/speedtraps and idiot drivers, too? It looks like I'd get off 270 at the exit for 28 at Rockville and follow it to Randolph, hang a right and then about 2 miles down take my left onto Georgia. Mapquest calculates it will take an extra 15 minutes going via 28.

I live off 28 and take 28 almost the whole way in. It might take a little longer, but its not as hectic. Not as many idiots and rarely speed traps. Watch out for that speed camera on randolph!

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
If you decide to take the route 28 exit, which turns into Viers mill road, you need to follow that road until u see Randolf road and make a left. One of the landmarks is a Mcdonalds on your left.

Then proceed forward towards Georgia ave and be careful of the stupid speed cameras by Wheaton High school. Look for Georgia ave and make a left, then at the following light make a right on Layhill road and you're there.

The other way to avoid the Montrose/Viersmill mess is to take the Wootton parkway instead and when you get to 355/Rockville pike, cross it and at the next light you'll see Viers mill road and make a right, then left on Randolf and left on Georgia and finally right on Layhill and BAM...your there.

When your coming from 495 going towards 270 and you're merging right in order to make a right on the Montrose Rockville exit. When you are making that right it will split and the left lane will take you under a bridge to a light where you make a left and that will direct you to the Wootton Parkway. Other wise if you were to stay to the right coming off 270 it will certainly take you to Montrose road Rockville and that's where you don't want to go.

In other words, when taking exit 4a Montrose the road will split, stay left go under the bridge and at the light make a left on Tower Oaks blvd then a right at Wootton Parkway, which is the following light. Oops, didn't mean to ramble. ;)

Here is a link to a Montgomery County Map.
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q...TTBQ&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1

Good Luck,

RM

Lively

Members
I rarely speed in residential area's... ;) I saw the cameras when I came to the first meeting.

I think I'm going to do 28 this time... thanks for the landmark! That will make it a whole lot easier.

Jumbie

Members
Hey Stacy you could always buy a helicopter lol :happy0007:. The only problem is you wouldn't have any money to bring for the fish auction.

She could auction off rides to the meeting, I imagine she would fill the chopper up quick with people that would like to avoid the drive in.

Lively

Members
Hey Stacy you could always buy a helicopter lol :happy0007:. The only problem is you wouldn't have any money to bring for the fish auction.

Have you ever seen a whirleybird dismantled? A regular one... I'd just as soon drive 95 in rush hour traffic with an accident two miles up...

I don't like heights, at all. Not phobic about it anymore - but really don't like them.

maddog10

Members
It's not the price of the helicopter that gets you. It is the daily, weekly, monthly and yearly maintenance that adds up. They are VERY expensive to fly.

Lively

Members
It's not the price of the helicopter that gets you. It is the daily, weekly, monthly and yearly maintenance that adds up. They are VERY expensive to fly.

So are small private planes - I used to work in the maint./repair dept. of a small airport. Don't like small planes, either...