• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Bettas

zackcrack00

Members
So, based on the comments on my last thread, it seems I am the only one in the club going into this "adventure" of breeding bettas. I was wondering, what other clubs near us in MD, VA, or DE have people that breed bettas? It would be fun to talk to people about certain strains and things, so it would be nice if you guys could point me in the right direction. Thanks!

verbal

CCA Members
In the past there have been betta breeders in PVAS(Potomac Valley Aquarium Society), however I haven't seen either the breeders or the fish around in a while.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Wha?

I have B. unimaculata and patoti spawning. Don't know that it qualifies as an "adventure" but free swimmers in both tanks is definitely cool.

Becca

Members
I have B. unimaculata and patoti spawning. Don't know that it qualifies as an "adventure" but free swimmers in both tanks is definitely cool.

Sam, would you like a second female potati? I am a horrible Betta mama and the boys have both, somehow, managed to make for the hills while outside in the whiskey barrel. The first one was early on. The second one managed to escape sometime Saturday. He was there when I did a water change Friday night but we got several torrential downpours on Saturday and I apparently didn't leave the barrel quite low enough. He made it through 3 layers of pond netting and a plastic grid.

Girlfriend is hanging out in the (VERY WELL COVERED) 150 - if you'd like her back, let me know and I'll dig her out. They did spawn a few times but he always swallowed the eggs. She'd get fat with eggs, then get skinny, he'd go a few days without eating, but then decide he was too hungry to bother being a dad.

mrkillie

Members
There used to be a couple big betta clubs in the region-don't know what happened to the MOBB (Mid-Atlantic Organized Betta Breeders), but PABS (Philadelphia Area Betta Society) is defunct from what I hear. Both of them even hosted IBC conventions. Maybe the closest Betta club is the New Jersey group. There was a club in Pittsburgh as well, don't know if it still exists either.

I have a few species, but haven't really worked with them. My B. unimaculata are still very young, my albimarginata should be about ready to do something-maybe I'll try to get them spawning.

mrkillie

Members
According to the IBC site, the MOBB still exists. Contact Bob Dozier at rdozier22191@verizon.net for info. I don't know if the info is good-the IBC site is notorious for being outdated, but it looks significantly different from the last time I visited it, so maybe it's been updated.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
I should know better by now

I was talking about betta splendens.

Of course you were, keep forgetting we're all supposed to be psychic.

Rebecca: quixotically and alternatively, have an extra well-traveled male that would surely be pleased to make your (and her) re-acquaintance.

Becca

Members

Of course you were, keep forgetting we're all supposed to be psychic.

Rebecca: quixotically and alternatively, have an extra well-traveled male that would surely be pleased to make your (and her) re-acquaintance.

Well, if you're willing to trust me with him, I'll be at the BBQ. I'll also be downtown tomorrow and Wednesday during work hours - I'm visiting BLS at Union Station for a gathering of area statisticians. We are the best of the liars and the d*mn liars :p.

She's quite an adventurous thing - takes food right from my hands.