• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Best shell dweller setup?

phishfriend

Members
Hey all, I have been kicking around the idea of starting a shell dweller setup at work.
I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on setup. I was thinking smaller tank size around 20 or 30g but I'm just not sure what would work the best. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rsretep

Members
I have kept Shellie's in tanks from 5 to 40 breeder size. I think my favorite setup was gold occelatus in a 40 breeder which they shared with some julidochromis Transcriptus. Got fry from both groups on regular intervals.

WendyFish

Members
I've toyed with the idea of getting a half height tank for Shellies at work... Still a good footprint for them to spread out but less work for me changing water for the benefit of vertical space they don't use. Glass cages has some half heights I believe.

phishfriend

Members
I've toyed with the idea of getting a half height tank for Shellies at work... Still a good footprint for them to spread out but less work for me changing water for the benefit of vertical space they don't use. Glass cages has some half heights I believe.

I'd like to use a 30 breeder if I can find
One. I'm sure I could order one but
I'd like stumble across one on CL. Lol

clearsky5

CCA Members
I've got 7 multifasciatus in a ten gallon.. about 3" of #3 gravel, corner filter, and a bunch of pvc elbows, t's and a few connectors.. While I guess shells would be more normal... I thought if I needed to move, or catch fish, the pvc tubes would be easier...
Sure they don't like the idea of no shells but they have had 3 broods since I tried this scenario... they are also reasonably peaceful with each other so no big problems... I know a larger tank would be better, but that is what I had open at the time I got them..
david

Alleycat

Members
Still looking for shells? Try your local hobby store. Here, we have michaels and hobby lobby and both carry shells suitable for most shellies. ALOT cheaper than some online places, and just as cool looking.

eden2020

Members
Shellies...

My little guy Marcus has Multis that a wonderful member of CCA donated for his Science project and he has done well with them in a 20 long. (Not mentioning any names- Arlene) We have lost a couple adults in the last 9 months but didn't seem due to aggression, as we never witnessed any. Ever member of the tank staked out a nice spot. They have breed several times.

I know many use sand but we opted for the following:

Aragamax (fine crushed coral) small enough for them to move it around, but not as much hassle as sand.

HOB filter (Aquaclear) with natural plant matter prefilter (kinda just happened and works well).

Turbo snail shells (Local pet store has hundereds of them they are willing to sell)

And some pieces of Texas Holey rock to break sight lines and a few live plants..

Shellies are awesome.. We also have Hecquis from another member of CCA we bought at auction. Lone female with her fry in a 10 gallon (similar set-up). We have a trio and moved the other male and female out and left nature to take it's course in the 10 gallon.

-Marc and Marcus

phishfriend

Members
My little guy Marcus has Multis that a wonderful member of CCA donated for his Science project and he has done well with them in a 20 long. (Not mentioning any names- Arlene) We have lost a couple adults in the last 9 months but didn't seem due to aggression, as we never witnessed any. Ever member of the tank staked out a nice spot. They have breed several times.

I know many use sand but we opted for the following:

Aragamax (fine crushed coral) small enough for them to move it around, but not as much hassle as sand.

HOB filter (Aquaclear) with natural plant matter prefilter (kinda just happened and works well).

Turbo snail shells (Local pet store has hundereds of them they are willing to sell)

And some pieces of Texas Holey rock to break sight lines and a few live plants..

Shellies are awesome.. We also have Hecquis from another member of CCA we bought at auction. Lone female with her fry in a 10 gallon (similar set-up). We have a trio and moved the other male and female out and left nature to take it's course in the 10 gallon.

-Marc and Marcus

Awesome! Thanks for the advice! I got a 20L from petco's dollar a gal
Sale and was planning on using it for the shell D build but my rams have been spawning like mad! So I may have to use it as grow out tank.