• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Best filter media

captmicha

Members
Is the best biological filter media going to be course foam?

It seems like it would have the most surface area. Besides fine foam, but that gets clogged easily and cuts down on flow, which is self handicapping.

Thoughts?

Wet Sleeves

CCA Members
Staff member
Lava rock works good. what are you putting it in? You can use the plastic pot scrubbers from the Dollar Store also

finzz

Members
I've started to change over some of my filters to Poret foam and have found it to be very good stuff. The HOB filters that used replaceable fiber elements clogged up quickly in my fish room, but the Poret lasts much longer without cutting back on flow. I was a little skeptical about the mat type filter, but tried one in a 20L that was a little over crowded and it worked fine. Now there are quite a few in use in the fish room and more to come.

Digital

Members
I'm having good enough results with the cheap filter foam sheets that are a few bucks on Amazon, that I consider it "best" because it doesn't break the bank.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Porter is just polyether foam. I'd have to see that, but wonder what makes it different, if anything.
He was comparing surface area, clogging, ease of cleaning, etc. yes, he was talking his book, as they say, but he did have citations to studies. He convinced me.

I don’t know whether cheaper foam does the same things. I’m sure some does, but I also think most offerings are not as good, and it’s hard to know what you’re getting.

Edit: here’s more information, including surface area, etc.: http://www.swisstropicals.com/library/swisstropicals-poret-foam/

FishEggs

The other difference between the Poret and the cheap foams is that the Poret doesn't break down over time.
I've used the cheap sponges and put them away out of use for a bit and then when I went to use again, half of it crumbled off.
I'm a firm believer in the "buy once cry once" motto. Spend the money on good quality that lasts and it hurts once. Keep having to buy the same thing over and over again and it hurts every time.

captmicha

Members
The other difference between the Poret and the cheap foams is that the Poret doesn't break down over time.
I've used the cheap sponges and put them away out of use for a bit and then when I went to use again, half of it crumbled off.
I'm a firm believer in the "buy once cry once" motto. Spend the money on good quality that lasts and it hurts once. Keep having to buy the same thing over and over again and it hurts every time.
You're right that you usually get what you pay for. But I did some reading and apparently polyether doesn't tend to break down from being wet, while polyester foam does. So maybe that's what you saw. Or maybe not.

Maryland Guppy

CCA Members
My vote is on the Poret foam, it ain't cheap but you only buy it once.
I attended Stephan Tanner’s presentation too and I was sold on the facts.
Corner filters for me in all tanks as I convert them.

Wet Sleeves

CCA Members
Staff member
Is there a difference, other than price?

Blaise
In some cases yes. It depends on the manufacture though. I believe some companies put chemicals on the Lava for your grill and some will not. Its not worth it to me to take a chance. For the price you get quite a bit more.