• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

best conditions for raising fry

REG84

Members
This process is a first for me.. and I want to do it right. So I have isolated my holding "electric blue" johanni. First off know one told me it would take removing all the rocks and chasing her for an hour around my 125g. My back is killing me!!! Anyway I plan to strip her Thursday if she does not spit them on her own. but my question is how should I set up my fry tank (temp., scape, etc.). Can I feed them the same food I feed my adults just pulverized? How often do I do water changes? thanks in advance for your help.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I don't have specific experience with johanni, but I use the same techniques for any fry that I grow out. Once they are of a big enough size that I am not concerned with them being able to get food that I feed, I move them to the largest tank I have available, typically a 10 or 20H. I keep the water parameters the same that I do for the tank with the parents. I decorate my tanks, but for fry, typically do not use substrate so that I can clean the mulm/uneaten food easier. I filter with sponge filters and air driven box filters. Water changes are the key, in my opinion. I feed my fry tanks heavier than I do adults, but also do more frequent water changes. On a 10, I do 50% changes twice a week.

frankoq

Members
First off know one told me it would take removing all the rocks and chasing her for an hour around my 125g. My back is killing me!!!

I recently had to move my benga to isolation because he was being a jerk bully. I have a 180 with lots of hiding places.
What I did is get a piece of acrylic the size of the length and height of the tank. I then made the target move to one end of the tank and put the piece of acrylic. he then only had a very tight spot to move around (about a foot of space). It was then very easy to catch him.
The whole process took me 5 minutes.

verbal

CCA Members
How long has she been holding? If you can let her hold to the point the fry are free swimming or very close, it is a lot easier to raise them.

When I strip I like to put the fry in an external breeder box, or an internal plexiglass breeder box. When they get to the point of eating flakes easily they are ready to move to a grow-out tank - 10 to 29 gallon tank.

verbal

CCA Members
I recently had to move my benga to isolation because he was being a jerk bully. I have a 180 with lots of hiding places.
What I did is get a piece of acrylic the size of the length and height of the tank. I then made the target move to one end of the tank and put the piece of acrylic. he then only had a very tight spot to move around (about a foot of space). It was then very easy to catch him.

Good idea. Anything that gives them less room to escape is a good idea. I often will coordinate catching with a large water change.

ezrk

Members
We have found that is a very important to have the fry initially go into tank water - not even something very close to tank water. We will literally fill the fry tank with water from tank they came from. After a half week or so they can tolerate a water change without issues we find, but those first couple of days they need no water change at all.

REG84

Members
I don't have specific experience with johanni, but I use the same techniques for any fry that I grow out. Once they are of a big enough size that I am not concerned with them being able to get food that I feed, I move them to the largest tank I have available, typically a 10 or 20H. I keep the water parameters the same that I do for the tank with the parents. I decorate my tanks, but for fry, typically do not use substrate so that I can clean the mulm/uneaten food easier. I filter with sponge filters and air driven box filters. Water changes are the key, in my opinion. I feed my fry tanks heavier than I do adults, but also do more frequent water changes. On a 10, I do 50% changes twice a week.

Thanks jon

REG84

Members

that is a great idea.. if I have to do what I did last night anymore, I won't be striping.. lol

REG84

Members
How long has she been holding? If you can let her hold to the point the fry are free swimming or very close, it is a lot easier to raise them.

When I strip I like to put the fry in an external breeder box, or an internal plexiglass breeder box. When they get to the point of eating flakes easily they are ready to move to a grow-out tank - 10 to 29 gallon tank.

As far as I know.. she has been holding for 18 days. I see a lot of movement in her mouth

Jmty

Members
quick learner haha, works good,feliz de poder aportar jaja. still want a yellow lab male or you got one?

frankoq

Members
quick learner haha, works good,feliz de poder aportar jaja. still want a yellow lab male or you got one?

Before I learned this from you, I spend a long time like the OP trying to catch a fish.
The fish you sold me is looking awesome in my tank. He colored nicely.
Another member is bringing me to the meeting a male yellow lab. I think I'm good. If that does not go thru, I will reach out to see if you have one.