• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Be Wary of Scammers on Craigslist

AquaStudent

Members
I recently posted a listing for my aquarium/stand/complete set-up. I received a message from an 'interested' buyer.

The deal seemed sketchy from the start but I decided to continue. They were going to pay with a cashier's check. They said they would send a more to help pay the movers. Red flag right there but I continued.

The dead giveaway was when the cashier's check arrived (yes, they mailed it even though I wanted to meet in person). It was written for nearly $2000. Yep. Not happening.

The scam is you cash the check and pay the "movers" all this cash. When the check fails to clear the bank comes after you but they're already away with the cash.

I told the scammers I would not cash this and the deal is off. After they sent a few messages I warned them I would call the authorities and the FTC if they contacted me again. Haven't heard from them since.

Be aware with who you are dealing with. These things do happen.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Happened to me before too. Couldn't understand why someone wanted to pay to have the tanks shipped to Connecticut when they could buy them new cheaper, luckily I was weary enough not to go that route.

thedavidzoo

Members
Similar experience a few years back. An overseas buyer wanted to buy my used camper for more $ than I was asking, and in a hurry. His "agent" was more local and wanted to fulfill the deal before his "client" moved back to the US and took possession. He could have bought a new unit for less...
It whole deal had BAD written all over it from the get-go.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Yea same thing with cars sold on CL they say it had the eBay buyers protection, or there are in the military or are over seas etc all a scams.

Glad people are aware of the scammers

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

JLW

CCA Members
This one is pretty clever. Assuming the movers showed up and got the tank, and that you're responsible for paying the movers out of their cheque, they not only get the cash from the cheque, but also the tank.

I'm assuming that "they" are the movers, as well.

Rasta Fish

Members
Hahaha happened to me before
they contact me I knew it was a scam when they mentioned the movers and check
When clearly my ad says cash only
So I decide to mess with them.. I told them to make the check payable to a certain fed agency
And gave them the address ....
Never heard back from them..

Jt731

Members
The horror stories I've heard from my last couple of realtors who also list rentals have been horrifying. From finding their exact listing on Craigslist but a different number to people who try to move in only to find someone's jerk ex boyfriend used a copy of a key to rent the place and disappeared, there are some real wastes of skin out there

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Before I posted my marble motoro, I was working out a deal with some one from MFK on getting a pearl pup. The price seemed very similar to prices I've seen them for sale before (normally scammers "selling rays" price them really low to intice others). We arranged a shipping date and everything, but thank god I'm obsessed with rays, I was watching video after video and then I saw a video of the same pup I was "buying". The video was shot in 2012 by a person with a different name. Aparrently this guy just screen shotted one of the rays in the video.
smh

neut

Members
Saw an article a few weeks ago on this same craigslist scenario, organized scammers paying with phony cashier/certified checks. Someone accepts what they think is a guaranteed check, by the time the check is returned the scammer is long gone.

AquaStudent

Members
Saw an article a few weeks ago on this same craigslist scenario, organized scammers paying with phony cashier/certified checks. Someone accepts what they think is a guaranteed check, by the time the check is returned the scammer is long gone.

And you're left with the debt to the bank...clever jerks.

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
My favorite are the people who claim that they are currently traveling and would like me to remove the add and promising to pay more than the listed price. I usually respond for them to "take a walk"!