• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

BB dying?

captmicha

Members
Does anyone know how long it takes for filter bacteria to die when you leave it in the filter water but the filter isn't running anymore?

dogofwar

CCA Members
A couple days...probably longer if you open the canister and let it get air. Whenever we have an extended power outage, I open the canister so it doesn't get nasty / anerobic.

HOBs and sponges are probably fine forever without power.

Remember that the bacteria / archea that do the work are everywhere in the tank...not just the filter. And they're much, much tougher than we realize.

Matt

mchambers

Former CCA member
I'd guess two days, but I don't think anyone really knows. I agree with Matt Q's advice. I'd also consider taking out the biomedia and putting it in a mesh bag in a tank, with some circulation through it.

JLW

CCA Members
Accctually....

Never.

Your biological filtering bacteria can go dormant under poor conditions, including anoxia, dehydration, and lack of nutrients. They'll survive indefinitely as dormant spores. Then they can restart when conditions improve. Obviously, there are some upper limits to this -- and they may get destroyed by really bad conditions, or eaten by other organisms living in those conditions -- but, they'll rapidly reseed.