• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Bamboo caves, any interest?

Becca

Members
I have some bamboo left from a project. Some small, some large (2-3" diameter).

Is anyone interested in bamboo caves? They make great pleco and catfish hiding spots. Closed-end caves can even be used for spawning.

If folks are interested in caves, I'd price them at $3-$5 a piece, namely because of the preparation involved - cutting, boiling, cleaning, cooling.

Bamboo is a hard material and not exactly easy to saw through. It lasts a looooooooong time in the aquarium and provides a nice medium for biofilm to grow. I've found my wood-eating plecos enjoy it immensely and it works well to provide hiding spots and structure for younger fish (especially small open-ended pieces).

If there's enough interest, I'll cut and prep some for Saturday's meeting, but there has to be some interest because it's a lot of work.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I have some bamboo left from a project. Some small, some large (2-3" diameter).

Is anyone interested in bamboo caves? They make great pleco and catfish hiding spots. Closed-end caves can even be used for spawning.

If folks are interested in caves, I'd price them at $3-$5 a piece, namely because of the preparation involved - cutting, boiling, cleaning, cooling.

Bamboo is a hard material and not exactly easy to saw through. It lasts a looooooooong time in the aquarium and provides a nice medium for biofilm to grow. I've found my wood-eating plecos enjoy it immensely and it works well to provide hiding spots and structure for younger fish (especially small open-ended pieces).

If there's enough interest, I'll cut and prep some for Saturday's meeting, but there has to be some interest because it's a lot of work.

These are awesome for spawning. And are super light and will match your natural decor. You can also tie plants or moss to them and make an even more awesome cave.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Becca

Members
Do you just boil them to get em to sink?

Sent from my SM-N910V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

I boil them to limit the amount of biofilm that accumulates in the first few days (it can be a stinky mess otherwise). This does help them sink faster, but bamboo sinks pretty fast without much help.

Becca

Members
Here's what I'll do - I'll cut and prep a bunch of them, various sizes, open and closed, and bring them to the meeting and stick them out on a table for people to look at/pick up between the speaker and the auction - does that sound OK?

If not for the time/labor/number of swear words involved, I'd give them away, but I need some way to fund that swear jar ;-).