• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Bad news thread

mdlnewman

Members
My wife called me into the room to see if there was a death in the other tank. Turns out my seemingly healthy male Blue Ram just up and died. Last time I saw him he seemed fine. Fins seem ok so he wasn't beaten up. I couldn't see anything wrong he just died.

All the rest of the fish seem healthy.

water params are good

ammon and nitrite unmeasurable nitrate 5-10ppm ph is our standard 7.6

Worrysome but have no idea if there is anything to do. I will do a normal water change and watch the others I suppose.

Good news in other thread.

mrkillie

Members
Turns out my seemingly healthy male Blue Ram just up and died. Last time I saw him he seemed fine. Fins seem ok so he wasn't beaten up. I couldn't see anything wrong he just died.

All the rest of the fish seem healthy.

I hate it when that happens! :(

At least blue rams are around if you need to replace him for breeding.

YSS

Members
I see that happen quite often with rams and apistos in my discus tank. Doing fine, then suddenly dead. I don't think they were attacked by other fish, either, but I can't be sure.

As a matter of fact, I've never had good luck with apistos and rams in my discus tank. They all eventually end up dying. Only time I've had success with blue rams was when I first started keeping fish. I had a pair in my 20G 15 years ago and they did really well for a long time before I killed all of my fish after adding some sort of pH buffer. I don't even know why I added the buffer, but I did and killed all my fish.

Anyhow, no luck ever since. I bought two pairs of blue rams from the ACA. I have one pair in my discus tank and one in a 20G the kids won. We will see how they do.

rsretep

Members
I heard somewhere that apistos and rams like a higher water temp...(believe the info came from one of our guest speakers, maybe ted judy????)