• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Bad day

Freakgecko

Members
was up in Michigan visiting family, and my old favorite LFS (and good friend) got in Altolamprologus so. sumbu white dwarf. He ordered 25 and had em marked at $25 ea. I was so excited, I bought 5 to get my tanganyikan tank moving. Something went wrong with their bucket in transit, and I lost all of them shortly after getting home. Tried every method of slow intro/acclimation possible. I could puke right now. I also had a couple multies in the group, and they didn’t make it either......someone kill me please.....I haven’t had this big of an issue transporting in years...

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Sorry to hear that Kyle ,I think T Troyale might have some growing out, might be worth reaching out to him .

Wet Sleeves

CCA Members
Staff member
I know how you feel. I recently lost three 6+" female and a 7+" male Albino Dimidiochromis Compressiceps. NEVER have I felt so helpless. That turned into frustration and anger. Honestly I was so upset I wanted to just cry. I don't care to ever feel that way in my lifetime again. When you are so passionate and something brings you so much joy, it can quickly bring equal heartache and displeasure. Its temporary though. Keep your head up. If you've figured out what happened then you've won half the battle. This wont be the last time you get an opportunity to own some amazing fish :cool:

Digital

Members
I drove to Charlotte (only an hour from where I live) to meet a guy giving away his cichlids. I was a little concerned at first, but after a few emails I felt like this would be worth the drive because the guy was switching to salt water tank and wanted to know a lot of details about my setup. Really seemed liked he wanted to make sure the fish went to a good home. Anyway, I meet him and he has 2 to 3 cichlids in zip log bags, and essentially no air in the bags. A third are dead already when we meet, and another third died within a few days from the stress. It was such a disappointment.

stany

CCA Members
Think we all have horror stories. While the monitory cost is a part of it, the disappointment is harder for me to take. I'm crazy enough to try an all male tank and have lost some while away on trips for no good reason. While I can guess some of the losses, it's the not knowing for sure why is the hard part for me and what keeps me going to make it work. I will never add new fish (3-4 at a minimum at a time) if I'm going to be away within a week. When you add the stress of being relocated into an inherently hostile environment seems to be an issue.

You have no idea what stress they were in before you bought them even with the most reliable source. I've had losses within a day with the best suppliers for our club. Don't want to name names because they were fine when I picked them up at meetings. Bad things happen for good people.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I lost my entire Tang tank during a water change one day. Still to this day have no idea why I lost them all. I think it could have been something in the water (I used to add my Prime last, now I add it immediately), a drastic chemistry swing (unlikely, but possible. Didn't test before the change.), or a temperature swing (again, unlikely, but possible). It was $200-300 worth of fish gone in less than an hour. Nothing I could do. I've never lost fish like that during a tank and I had done large water changes on that tank previously with no issues at all. I feel your pain and here's to hoping you get them again someday.