• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

baby syno in the filter!

After recently finding about 10 baby ABNs in my fluval during a recent filter cleaning, I'm not a lot more careful about what I dump out during the rare times I actually open a filter. (Note to self: When your filter is covered with a layer of dust, it might be time to open it for a cleaning.)

Anyway, today opened the Fluval 405 on my mbuna tank -- where I'd previously had a baby synodontis lucippinis/petricola survive -- and peered in and -- was a tiny, maybe 1" long baby syno! Popped him in the tank. Now I need to open the 305 tomorrow, when I've got some more aged water as that intake is close to where I think the parents spawn and I'm betting there will be some there.

I'm a bit horrified to think that I've tossed out babies in the past. How often do babies -- and how long -- do they end up living in a filter?

verbal

CCA Members
You might want to add pre-filters to prevent(or at least reduce) fry from being sucked in the filters.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Definitely

How can you not be using pre-filters? All those sermons for naught...

WTH are pre-filters????
Although there's a part of me that thinks growing up in the filters is a good survival strategy for the babies in tanks that have predators. . .

mchambers

Former CCA member
They are usually sponges/foam slipped over the filter intake. There are some fancier ones, like the ATI pre-filters that Ken's Fish and others sell.

http://www.kensfish.com/moreinfo/ati-filter-max-3.html

But you can just buy an Aquaclear sponge of appropriate size, cut an X in the end, and slip it over the intake. It serves as a place for beneficial bacteria, and also enables you to clean the inside of your filter less frequently. (This is why all the cool fish keepers buy aquarium foam.). Makes it much harder for fry to get inside your filter.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
WTH are pre-filters????
Although there's a part of me that thinks growing up in the filters is a good survival strategy for the babies in tanks that have predators. . .

Anything that blocks the intake of the filter is considered a pre-filter. Some form of sponge or filter bag are commonly used as such.

TOMMYN3D

Members
Check out my avatar picture. That's a Aqua Clear 70 intake with a AC20 sponge slipped over the intake. It's great for keeping any fry from beeing sucked in and keeping sand also from damaging the propeller.

Very inexpensive and easy to make ;)

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Perish the thought

Don't pre-filters reduce flow rate?

No, not unless they're too dense. And while a decent metric, "flow rate" is over-rated and not necessarily synonymous with/indicative of filtration - has far more to do with the quality of the end-product/outflow rather than simple quantity. The slower the flow through the filter the more opportunity the bacteria have to act on the impurities, as in a wet-dry unit.

Pre-filters rock - they keep junk out of your HOBs/canisters/sumps/impellers, contribute significant bacterial action in their own right and make dandy sites for fry to feed. I have oblongums and angels that park hatchlings on pre-filters until they're free-swimming and regularly see very young fry grazing on them. Pretty sure there's no way I could go a year between cleaning my canisters were it not for pre-filters and they definitely cut down on the need for rinsing foams/sponges inside ACs/HOBs.

Any foam will work (including old sofa cushions) cut to size as long as it's not too dense. If it collapses in on itself within a week's time you need something more porous and/or with a larger external surface area.

Holly: Tell me what filters you're running so I know what size adapters you need and I'll set you up with a couple. Merry Christmas.

Last edited:
alrighty then -- I'm on the pre-filter band wagon!!

I run Fluval 305s and 405s on all my tanks (two filters per tank because I'm an obsessive kind of creature)

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Haven't ever met a Fluval

I run Fluval 305s and 405s on all my tanks (two filters per tank because I'm an obsessive kind of creature)

No idea what your intake tube looks like. I assume it's round but I'll need a fairly precise outside diameter measurement. I'll set up with a couple so you can convert one tank (because you're my heroine) and see what all the fuss is about, Ken's or JEHMCO will be happy to succor thee thereafter I'm sure.

I'm happy to go forth and purchase said pre-filtering filtery thingee to save you trouble. But if you are venturing forth from the District of Columbeea for the Christmas Party, you can come by for some wine beforehand and visit with your apistos . ..

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Options

Can do both - I have extra everything for pre-filters so we can set up one of your tanks and you can get an idea of what your options are before you start spending money.