• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Baby Shellies...now What?

Had a few specs swimming in one of the shells in the L. Stappersi tank this morning.

You may have to look close to see the little guys...

6aBabyLStappersi100206.jpg

6bBabyLStappersi100206.jpg

There two in this shot with their backs to us...
6cBabyLStappersi100206.jpg

Since I haven't bred fish in several years, this is kinda neat to me. Any chance they will survive? They are in a 29g tank with five young adult pearly occelatus.

D

daniel4832

Bobby,
Congrats!
The parents should guard their fry from the other fish, or you could move the shell, with the fry, and female, into a 5 1/2 gallon tank. That is what has worked best for me.
Thanks,
Daniel

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Good job. Make sure they get some small food to eat once in a while. There should be some stuff to pick at.
Next thing you know, you will be breeding to sell to stores....lol.....I can see it now. 50 tanks of babies. :D

So Daniel, how many fry normally are expected to survive the first time out? I think I have lost a couple already. I saw at least one far from the shell and haven't seen it since. And the first day I saw three in the shell, today I have only seen one around the shell. Mama is still protecting this one very closely.

I'm going to just let them take their chances in the 29g. I really don't won't to end up like Pat....(and you), with 50 tiny tanks of babies. But, it would be kool if a few would make it and populate the shelly tank.

In this shot from today, the baby seems to be protecting mama...
7aBabyLStappersi100506.jpg

D

daniel4832

Bobby,
Some times it takes the young parents a couple times to get it right, but so far it looks like they are doing a good job (knock on wood :rolleyes: ). You could end up with a couple of dozen fry.
Is it just shellies and cpys in the tank?
Thanks,
Daniel