• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Baby Peacock Fry

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
I really don't know if this has happened to you guys, but I recently pulled a Female Red Ruby Peacock that was holding eggs and placed her in a breeder tank for about 2.5 weeks. She finally released her fry on Tuesday and the babies looked healthy and there were about 15 of them or more. The Female was matched up with a beautiful Red Ruby male Peacock of course.

Nonetheless, I noticed that 3 of the babies have red eyes and apparently look like Albino's. How could that have happened? It could be genetic, right? Here's the weird thing, a week before I put her with the male Red Peacock I had briefly placed her with an Albino Eurika for a couple of hours until I could clean his tank.

Anyways, I caught them doing the love dance that we all know so well and removed her immediately. Now, she was then moved to the Red Ruby Tank with no signs of holding and was eating regularly for a week until she started to show eggs in her mouth. Could it be possible that she somehow carried some fertilized eggs over to the new tank and stashed them somewhere until her new eggs were ready?

If you guys can give me some input, that would be great.

Thanx,

Richard

Sorry about that guys, I actually sent out 2 posts by accident. Please disregard the 2nd post.
My computer got stuck or something so I really don't know what happened.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
It is possible that she had started with the Eureka however I have had several of the Ruby reds throw albino fry while in the grow out tank. I have not kept the fry but the albino gene is present in this group.

maddog10

Members
Richard,

It could be either way, but you probably have albino Ruby Reds. Grow them out and see what happens.