• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

AV-50 pump - closed loop? how?

TheWire

Members
After seeing Dave's setup with the AV-50 air pump, I am very impressed to the point I bought a AV-50 (buying still) cheaply.

How does the closed loop system works? Should I make the system into a loop with drops of silicon tubing into the tank?

Where can I buy some nickel plated valve with male pipe thread? and also 50' + spool of plastic/silicone tube?

maddog10

Members
Just loop the piping together. This basically uses the pipe as a reservoir tank and also equalizes the pressure in the pipe. If you have long dead end runs, you end up losing a little pressure at each valve in the run. By the time you get to the end of the run you may have little or no pressure left. The closed loop makes this problem go away. In theory, you have the same amount of pressure at each valve.

I just uses valves and airline tubing off of my 1 1/4" PVC loop.

kbeaudean

Members
They are pretty cheap from Ken's Fish. We just bought one (Thanks to David;)!) but still in the box still trying to get motovated!!

mab

Members
My fishroom consists of one loop off a linear piston pump. Yes a loop is critical; however, branches work too if balanced. This is a great system for multiple tanks - mine 50+ tanks. Once motivated it is rather easy to construct/build. If anyone is interested in a consult on materials etc. just give a shout.

Michael

TheWire

Members
My fishroom consists of one loop off a linear piston pump. Yes a loop is critical; however, branches work too if balanced. This is a great system for multiple tanks - mine 50+ tanks. Once motivated it is rather easy to construct/build. If anyone is interested in a consult on materials etc. just give a shout.

Michael

Ya, oh well kinda glad I did not win the auction as AV-50 which is a really nice pump, might be too overkill..

I am thinking about EP-30 by the same company that makes it...slight cheaper and I think is about 18L/min to 40L/min

10+ tanks ....should I keep it a closed loop or let it bleed some out? I have plan to expand to more tanks in near future.

cabinetmkr39

DavidG / CCA Member
The ep-30 will work just fine, but its loud and gets hot.Those 2 pumps are really not comparable. I just set up my brothers room with his ep-30 and it works fine on his 12 tanks. There will be know reason to bleed off air. Most air pumps are built to run under a back pressure.

mab

Members
Ya, oh well kinda glad I did not win the auction as AV-50 which is a really nice pump, might be too overkill..

I am thinking about EP-30 by the same company that makes it...slight cheaper and I think is about 18L/min to 40L/min

10+ tanks ....should I keep it a closed loop or let it bleed some out? I have plan to expand to more tanks in near future.

Keep it in a loop. There is no need to bleed off air on a linear piston pump. If you bleed off air the pump will just us more energy for air you are not using - at least that is what one manufacturer of linear piston pumps told me after I asked the "bleed off" question. He also advised that you must bleed off air on a blower.

maddog10

Members
I noticed that the first 2 or 3 feet of PVC on my loop got pretty warm. Pipe is much cooler now that I bleed off a little of the pressure. I was also blowing the joints apart.

TheWire

Members
anyone care to show me picture of their system? I am particular interested in the hand off from the pump to the pipe and the drops to the tank?

Thanks!

mab

Members
anyone care to show me picture of their system? I am particular interested in the hand off from the pump to the pipe and the drops to the tank?

Thanks!

In my setup I have a flexible reinforced hose from the pump to a reducing T into the PVC - all supplied by JEHMCO. Drops are all drilled and threaded air valves - one line per air driven filter/sponge. I'll try to get some pictures online if someone will help me get them posted.