• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Australoheros sp. "Red Ceibal" have a swarm of fry

dogofwar

CCA Members
My "Red Ceibal" Chanchitos laid a bunch of eggs on the slate base of a piece of driftwood (as they do pretty regularly).

This time, though, they decided to guard the eggs and - so far - the fry. There are hundreds of them.

I'll try to get a picture but here's what they look like (From Spencer Jack's website) and where they're from (Eastern Uruguay)
http://cichlaholic.com/images/uruguay_list/ceibal_centurion4.jpg

Chanchito babies are tiny. Fortunately this tank has a fair amount of gunk for them to eat :rolleyes:

Matt

F8LBITE

Members
congrats on the spawn! My guys are still growing and starting to show a little red around the edges of their fins.

marge618

CCA member
My "Red Ceibal" Chanchitos laid a bunch of eggs on the slate base of a piece of driftwood (as they do pretty regularly).

This time, though, they decided to guard the eggs and - so far - the fry. There are hundreds of them.

I'll try to get a picture but here's what they look like (From Spencer Jack's website) and where they're from (Eastern Uruguay)
http://cichlaholic.com/images/uruguay_list/ceibal_centurion4.jpg

Chanchito babies are tiny. Fortunately this tank has a fair amount of gunk for them to eat :rolleyes:

Matt

Congrats! Hundreds?
I have often wondered should we have an official CCA 'mascot' fish??? (I mean a real one.. not a logo.)

dogofwar

CCA Members
Babies and parents are both doing great: full baby bellies on the fry from tank muck and fine Golden Pearls.

I think that one of the secrets to get chanchitos to be good parents (vs. eat their babies or lose interest) is to have another fish divided from them. It seems like a threat (and keeps them on their toes)...but isn't really one. In this case, I have a monster male Red Ceibal (probably pushing 6")...

Matt