• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Attaching plants to . . .

Beeman

Members
Hey folks, what is safe for use in the aquarium for attaching live plants to wood. I am also going to suspend a branch or two of wood from the surface, probably from an uptake tube. Other than zip-ties, what do you all use?

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Some use "compounds"

Black sewing thread for me - it's so fine that you can't see it and clings so well you generally don't even need to tie it off so much as tuck the loose ends under another wrap of the thread itself. If you use cotton thread by the time it rots away the plants should be attached by their roots. Rubber bands and twisty ties work but are a bit unsightly.

msjinkzd

invert junkie
I use gel super glue, can be used in the tank, or out of the tank. Its what reefers use to attach frags,s o its even invert safe.

mscichlid

Founder
+1 on the superglue gel, but black cotton thread is a good choice as well. Cut off all lose ends after you tie the knots.

Beeman

Members
I use gel super glue, can be used in the tank, or out of the tank. Its what reefers use to attach frags,s o its even invert safe.

I sure am glad I ask the stupid/simple questions :blush: I never would have imagined super glue! Many thanks ya'll

Shane

Members
I have used all the above suggestions to good effect as well. Lately I have taken to using the black, plastic coated twisty-ties that come on the cords on new aquarium filters and heaters. After a month or two I just undo the twist and remove the twisty-tie. It has been working very well.
-Shane

Greg31

Members
I have found rubberbands work well. Easy to put on bit will eventually wear away.

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Hawkman2000

Members
HAven't tried super glue. What brand/type do you use?

I have used black cotton thread, all plastic zip-ties, and fishing line. The zip ties were the easiest for me.

londonloco

Members
You can use both, but the gel is much easier to use and works better. As far a brand, I go with "the cheapest" I can find.

hotwingz

Members
Ya super glue??? Im sure it works but how good is for the fish, and it doesnt seem like it would be the best for the plants either...

Sent from my PG86100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App