• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Aro Tankmates

Tiller11

Members
i have about a 8 or 9 inch silver arowana and i have 2 oscars in there right now both of which are not very nice to him... probly going to get rid of the oscars because they just wont leave him alone... was wondering about suitable mid level swiming tank mates... thinking jack dempseys, texas/red texas cichlids, green terrors, and firemouths... maybe a couple of each to give the tank a wide range of color. what do you think.

other tank mates include
1 common plec
1 royal plec
1 sun catfish
1 peacock eel

dimmensions
72"x24"x29" inches LxWxH
220 gallons of furry lol

filtration
1 ac110
1 emperor 400
1 diy cannister equipped with a pool filter pump moving 1000 gph prolly less because of hoses and such

needless to say all amonia nitrate and nitrite are non existant in the tank, water is a lil hard but not much and ph is give or take 7.0

hope it was enough info as i know its hard to give a good reccomendation without all info...

let me know if the line up i have thought about would be ok and if there is any more i should think about... all fish would be introduced quite small so it will give the aro time to grow before they get the kahones (prolly not spelled right) to try n mess with him.

Thanks

bdmminer

Members
A good tank mate for an arowana would be a clown knife. It's also an aggressive fish so they should leave each other alone if they are getting fed enough. They are a very colorful fish and really fun to watch eat a dozen goldfish too.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

verbal

CCA Members
I haven't kept arrowanas, but the key seems to be having tankmates that are big enough not to be considered food. If you having issues of aggression from Oscars, I would be looking at the more peaceful but large cichlids like Severums and Chocolate cichlids.

Tiller11

Members
Nvm gonna go wit like 2 or 3 firemouths, w geos and a nicaraguen... With angels that should be ok right?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Nvm gonna go wit like 2 or 3 firemouths, w geos and a nicaraguen... With angels that should be ok right?

Don't silver arowanas get 2'-3' long?

All of those fish sound like food to me.

Andrew

Members
Severums look great with arowana. Not aggressive towards the aros and get big enough not to be lunch.

Tiller11

Members
Ya the aro gonna be huge but hes bout 10 inches right now n i got like quarter sized angels in there at the smallest right now and he jus swims right along next to them.. eatomg a geo would be a big lunch n they also stay on the bottem... As do fm although thats a possibility... But he could easily eat these angels right now and he dnt so idk