• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Are Neolamprologus brichardii eggs opaque white?

chris_todd

Members
Are the eggs of neolamprologus brichardii an opaque white? Is it common for them to lay eggs on the roof of a clay pot? Will one of the mating pair tend the eggs, looking like its kissing or cleaning them?

I ask because I have two N. brichardii in my 20 long that I picked up at Aquafest, and one of them is hanging out in a clay pot, and there are about 20 opaque white eggs stuck to its roof.

Then again, there are also a half dozen albino cories, as well as a pair of Apistogramma macmasteri, and I wondered whether possibly one of them had laid eggs, and for some reason the brichardii may be tending to them (or perhaps eating them, it's hard to tell, LOL). The macmasteri female is *very* yellow (which I understand is an indication she is in breeding condition).

chris_todd

Members
I thought you might know, Sarah! Hmmm, then these must be either Albino cory eggs or Macmasteri eggs. I'm pretty sure cory eggs are opaque white, but what about macmasteri? I know the eggs of other species of apistogramma (e.g. cacatuoides)are red, but I can't find any info online about what color macmasteri eggs are. If they're also red, then these brichardi are either tending cory eggs, or eating them, LOL. I'll check when I get home tonight to see if there are any eggs left.

longstocking

Members
I don't know wha color macmasteri eggs are. Sorry :(

They could also be unfertile/fungus bichardi eggs which would be white.

chris_todd

Members
Given that the eggs were gone when I got home last night, my guess is that they were cory eggs, and the brichardi enjoyed a little caviar. That's OK, I don't much like either the albino cories or the brichardi, and I need to break down the 20 long they're in anyway, so I'll be selling them all in the auction on Saturday.