• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

ARE COACHES AFFORDED DIFFERENT RULES THEN PLAYERS?

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/23/why-suspend-terrelle-pryor-but-not-pete-carroll/

I WAS READING THIS MORNING AND THIS ARTICLE TOUCHED WHAT ALOT OF PEOPLE HAVE BEEN SAYING ALL ALONG. PENALTIES/FINES ARE DIFFERENT AND HARSHER FOR PLAYERS THEN FOR COACHES, STAFF, AND OWNERS.
PLAYERS LOSE ENDORSEMENTS, PLAYING TIME, AND HUGE FINES WHILE YOU SEE OWNERS AND COACHES (STAFF) GET SMALL SLAPS ON THE WRIST. CLASSIC EXAMPLE WAS LAST YEAR WHEN A OWNER BUD ADAMS FLIPPED FANS THE BIRD ON NATIONAL TV. YES IT WAS FUNNY WATCHING A FRAIL 70 + MAN FLIP OFF ANOTHER BUT THE FINE HARDLY MET THE OFFENSE. ESPECIALLY SINCE GOODDELL WAS IN THE BUILDING PROMOTING GOODWILL IN THE NFL. SOME MAY SAY HE WAS FINED 250K BUT THATS NOTHING TO HIM. HE MAKES THAT IN 15 MINS IN CONCESSIONS.
LOOKING AT THIS PRYOR INCIDENT @ OHIO STATE LIKE I LOOKED AT BUSH @ USC. THESE ARE HIGH PROFILE PLAYERS AND COACHES AND THE COACHES KNEW WHAT WAS GOING ON IN BOTH CASES CLEARLY. YET TRESSELL IS FORCED TO RESIGN WHILE PRYOR GETS SUSPENDED 5 GAMES AND CARROLL GOT TO GO COACH IN THE NFL AND NOBODY SAID A WORD. CARROLL SHOULD HAVE BEEN SUSPENDED JUST LIKE THE PLAYERS RIGHT? WHICH LEADS TO WHETHER THE NFL SHOULD EVEN BE GOVERNING NCAA TRANSGRESSIONS. IF YOU WERENT A NFL EMPLOYEE AT THE TIME OF THE INFRACTION HOW CAN THEY? SEEMS TO ME LIKE A DOUBLE STANDARD.:confused0024:

Cartel

Members
There always has and will be crazy inconsitancies and things that make you say whaaaa? It's just business. Here's a little fact: NFL teams are listed as nonprofit organizations. Really? Nope no profit being made there.....

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
There always has and will be crazy inconsitancies and things that make you say whaaaa? It's just business. Here's a little fact: NFL teams are listed as nonprofit organizations. Really? Nope no profit being made there.....
WIL I DID NOT KNOW THAT....WOW!!! WHAT A FARCE!

dogofwar

CCA Members
...with their facilities, of course, highly subsidized / paid for with your tax dollars...

Matt

Charlutz

Members
I believe the NFL is a non-profit. The individual teams are almost certainly for profit, and by almost certainly, I mean definitely.

The difference between Terrelle Pryor and Pete Carroll is Pryor got caught. Carroll didn't. Bush was paid by a booster, not Pete Carroll. Pryor was guilty of taking money dead to rights. Sanctioning Pryor by the NFL was pretty shady in the first place, but his offenses are still much different than what could be laid at the feet of Pete Carroll. I like neither one of those guys.

Davey_8313

Members
I'm glad that the NFL did suspend Pryor though. To say hes going to stick around and play another season and take his suspension then decide to go pro is messed up. Tried to take advantage of the system, but it didn't work. I still say he should've been suspended for the bowl game last year though.

The primary issue here is timing by the NCAA: The Pryor penalties were clearly established prior to his leaving school. I am not saying I agree with it. Pete Carroll, OJ Mayo, Reggie Bush and others were gone from their university's before the NCAA handed out sanctions. I think that its poor form for the NFL to get involved with policing for college infractions (technically Pryor was suspended for making a mockery of the draft (or something to this effect)). It would be as if you got fired from one job and the next job kept your paycheck for five weeks as punishment. If the NFL, NFLPA, Coaches Union and the NCAA hammered out a black and white policy that would be one thing, but without it, it is pretty weak, especially since Pryor is suspended more than a first time drug offense.

As for Pryor's decision to "leave", he was informed by Ohio State that due to additional information coming out in the course of the investigation, he was likely going to be suspended for the entire season....thus ending his college eligibility. He was faced with the decision of testify to the NCAA investigators and possibly federal prosecutors looking to hang more illegal activity on the booster that bought their merchandise OR leave school and no longer have any requirement to further incriminate himself, his teammates, coaches etc because he would no longer be required to speak to NCAA investigators.

As for the teams as non-profits, that is not the case. The NFL is a 501(c)(6) Trade Association (as the representative body of the 32 combined teams) (the same is true of the NFLPA though as well in representing the players.) They do enjoy some sketchy antitrust and tax exempt statuses. The teams however do not enjoy this status and are treated as corporations, the Green Bay Packers (the only one) are a publicly traded company so they have additional requirements to disclose their financials. The big twist to it though is that the NFL is the body that arranges many of the financial deals of the league (television, merchandise, etc) so its pretty murky how the $6.9 BILLION that the NFL took in last year was divided.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello:

"Pryor made decisions that undermined the integrity of the eligibility rules for the NFL draft. He skipped the regular draft. He then made himself ineligible for college football."

"Our rules have never been based on the notion a college player could choose to violate NCAA rules, obtain a declaration that he is ineligible to play and then be rewarded by entering the NFL draft. He is not getting a free pass into the NFL."

dogofwar

CCA Members
Just watched the ESPN 30-30 on SMU in the early 1980s ("The Pony Express" AKA The best team money could buy). Texas A&M bought Eric Dickerson a gold (Smokey and the Bandit-style) Trans-Am the week before he declared (for them). SMU (boosters) took over payments on it when he switched to SMU.

Just some blatantly shameful stuff... that I'm sure has only gotten worse today...

Matt

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
Just watched the ESPN 30-30 on SMU in the early 1980s ("The Pony Express" AKA The best team money could buy). Texas A&M bought Eric Dickerson a gold (Smokey and the Bandit-style) Trans-Am the week before he declared (for them). SMU (boosters) took over payments on it when he switched to SMU.

Just some blatantly shameful stuff... that I'm sure has only gotten worse today...

Matt
YEAH I REMEMBER WHEN IT HAPPENED. THEY TRIED TO SAY HIS GRANDMOTHER PAID FOR IT BUT EVERYONE KNEW WHO REALLY BOUGHT THAT CAR ;). SAD THING IS IT ISNT JUST COLLEGES ITS HIGH SCHOOL TOO. ITS REALLY BOILS DOWN TO $$$. AS MUCH MONEY AS THEY PIMP THESE KIDS FOR THAT BRINGS IN MILLIONS TO THEIR SCHOOLS THEY DESERVE TO BE PAID.
ITS JUST SAD THAT A GAME HAS MADE PEOPLE DO SOME CRAZY THINGS THAT TURNED FUN SPORTS INTO "DEATH PENALTIES" FOR THEIR PROGRAMS.

Davey_8313

Members
SMU is the only team that has been handed the death penalty thus far. They are talking about maybe handing it down to Miami though but I don't see it.

The car thing makes me think of LeBron. Remember his mom got approved for a loan buy him a Hummer and OHSAA looked into it. They just need to make some national rules for the sports.

Last edited:

dogofwar

CCA Members
I agree. Let's end the charade and pay them.

Here's a great article from the WaPo last year:

"A pro agent's case for paying college football players"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/19/AR2010081904202.html

Matt

YEAH I REMEMBER WHEN IT HAPPENED. THEY TRIED TO SAY HIS GRANDMOTHER PAID FOR IT BUT EVERYONE KNEW WHO REALLY BOUGHT THAT CAR ;). SAD THING IS IT ISNT JUST COLLEGES ITS HIGH SCHOOL TOO. ITS REALLY BOILS DOWN TO $$$. AS MUCH MONEY AS THEY PIMP THESE KIDS FOR THAT BRINGS IN MILLIONS TO THEIR SCHOOLS THEY DESERVE TO BE PAID.
ITS JUST SAD THAT A GAME HAS MADE PEOPLE DO SOME CRAZY THINGS THAT TURNED FUN SPORTS INTO "DEATH PENALTIES" FOR THEIR PROGRAMS.

Miami deserves the death penalty as much or more than SMU did back then if what this convicted booster is saying is true. This corruption goes all the way to the top of that school, the president of the University is shown in at least ten clips with the convicted booster. My biggest gripe with the NCAA so far on this, the 12 or so athletes that were involved when they were at Miami, but have moved on to other schools, have all apparently already been cleared.....seems to me if they took the same benefits the current Miami 15 took, than they should be just as much on the hook for it. The other side of the coin for me is that these athletes should be better compensated for what they bring a school but the problem lies in equal compensation across the board so that a school cant "buy" a better team by having larger benefits. The school can use the athletes image to sell jerseys or other merchandise, but the athletes cant sell their signatures or other merchandise for the same benefits. The case I am really interested to see come to a conclusion is the one pending where former athletes have sued the NCAA for continued use of their image without their permission. They got some pretty big names to sign on to that case so it has some weight to it. Just think of everytime you see one of those little historical promo pieces before a bowl game or a tournament game and they show the athlete scoring the winning touchdown or sinking the winning basket from twenty years ago. The athlete in that shot is not getting a cut everytime it shows and the NCAA makes extra millions on that alone. If they were forced to pay you might see some bigger focus on the BCS games, because those games are ripping the schools off blind. Alot of the smaller schools actually end up losing money going to one of the big games because they are required to buy a certain number of tickets and any they dont sell they take the loss for and responsible for the costs of everyone travelling, band, team, coaches etc. If the NCAA was smart they would run it like the basketball tournament and reap all the money instead of letting these bowls take a huge chunk. If you get a chance read the book Death to the BCS by Dan Wetzel. Its eye opening the information he reveals in this book and this is just the stuff thats public knowlegde, you know what they say about the iceberg.