• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Aquaterra, Pangea and other 3D backgrounds

cholile

Members
Not only are there few places to buy them, but none are in this area. So while I'm trying to convince myself that I'm not insane for shelling out a fortune for these backgrounds I'm sitting here going, "I've never actually even seen one in person."

Does anyone have these? If so, what has your experience been? Pros/cons (e.g. how hard to set up? how's the customer service? do BN plecos ruin the backgrounds?)

I'm especially interested in knowing about aquaterra's sierra modules as I've thought about using some of them together to create a background for my tank.

http://www.aquaterra-intl.com/index.html

http://www.aquarium-background.com/catalogue.asp

danger_chicken

Swim Fishy Swim!
I have an aquaterra and love it. The only issue I've had is I have a 30" high tank and they only make them for 24". I got creative with hanging plants to cover the top bt I've had issues with fish getting back there. I put plastic grate on the top to keep that from happening but I stil have issues with fish gettin in the plants and hiding in the 8" gap. I read not to put pleco's in because they may chew on the backgound and ruin it. I would but direct from Aquaterra. Stay away from Aquascape online for these, they charged my card, lied to me, and never returned emails or phone calls. It took 3 months to get my money back.

cholile

Members
Very helpful. I will plan to order from aquaterra int'l (first link I supplied)

My plan is to get a 30" tank and for that reason I've thought about getting 6 or so of the modules and combining them to cover the corner overflows and most of the back wall. With a black background on the outside any open space on the back wall should look dark (like a crack b/w the modules). It seems like it could be cool, but spending hundreds of dollars for what sounds nice without seeing it worries me a bit.

dogofwar

CCA Members
You could also make one yourself - lots of diy threads online

Posted via mobile.capitalcichlids.org

cholile

Members
Yea. I know. I'm not interested in the DIY route if these modules, or some professional background make sense.

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
Some mass produced like this should not cost this much. I bet if they had reasonable prices you would see more buyers. I think the makers realize that fish keepers will pay hundreds just for lighting so why not charge that much. Those are prices I would pay for hand made back grounds.

cholile

Members
Prince, I disagree. If someone could make a significant profit and charge much less they'd do it.

We all know countless people that go the DIY route or do nothing at all instead of being a sucker (as I would like to be ;) if I know more about these sierra modules). I'd be willing to venture that as many as 9 out of 10 people that would like to buy one of these backgrounds says "no thanks" based solely on the cost. If so, that means there is a massive untapped market for these backgrounds at better prices. Most of the most profitable companies are not based on high prices of selling a few items. They're based on volume. It could be the few companies that do sell them are just bad business people who think charging a crazy amount is the best way to maximize their profits. But I doubt it b/c if that is/was the case then someone else would be smart enough to jump in and undercut their prices and thereby gain a dominant share of the market.

Probably a bit more business analysis than is typical for this forum, but hey, I only wasted a few minutes of your life if you read this post.

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
Prince, I disagree. If someone could make a significant profit and charge much less they'd do it.

We all know countless people that go the DIY route or do nothing at all instead of being a sucker (as I would like to be ;) if I know more about these sierra modules). I'd be willing to venture that as many as 9 out of 10 people that would like to buy one of these backgrounds says "no thanks" based solely on the cost. If so, that means there is a massive untapped market for these backgrounds at better prices. Most of the most profitable companies are not based on high prices of selling a few items. They're based on volume. It could be the few companies that do sell them are just bad business people who think charging a crazy amount is the best way to maximize their profits. But I doubt it b/c if that is/was the case then someone else would be smart enough to jump in and undercut their prices and thereby gain a dominant share of the market.

Probably a bit more business analysis than is typical for this forum, but hey, I only wasted a few minutes of your life if you read this post.
That is what I meant. Maybe I shouldn't post at 3am from my Iphone.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I think the opportunity is in the "almost as nice but costs much less" niche, at least in the US.

Of course, my "background" is mosy often the concrete block walls of my basement (fishroom)...(see below picture from Bobby)...

Matt

Cichlasoma boliviense - male.jpg

Matt, what fish is that?? Looks real nice.

I think I am gonna go the DIY 3D background. It seems preety easy to do. The only thing I am not sure about is how to let it cure once you're done. So say let it sit in water for a few days, and others say put the background in the tank and fill it up and drain about 7-10 times and it should be ready to go.

dogofwar

CCA Members
He's a Cichlasoma boliviense - male of my wild pair...

"Matt, what fish is that?? Looks real nice."