• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Aquamania Question

rich_one

Members
I hope it's okay I post this here... seemed to be the logical place for it.

Last year, I didn't get a room, but this year, I'm considering it, instead of driving two day back and forth between Gaithersburg and Waldorf like I did last year. I'm also fairly sure I'm going to order some fish from Jeff Rapps to hopefully pickup at the convention. And so comes the question... how do you all go about keeping fish purchased from vendors overnight at the hotel? Do you just use a cooler, heater and air pump? Do you have to do frequent water changes while doing it this way over the course of Saturday and Sunday? It'll be the first time I've done something of this nature, so I'd like to be sure I'm thinking it through completely.

Thanks.

-Rich

verbal

CCA Members
Pat Kelly has a great thread on keeping fish in a hotel room.

Basically the short answer is plastic storage bins and a big/good sized air pump. Aged sponge filters are the best, but airstones would probably work. Maybe one water change if you don't have a filter. You could add some of the poly-fil stuff that will absorb ammonia, if you just have aeration.

You could also use a cooler as a container.

Battery operated air pump will do, but make sure you loop the pump above the container, as a diconnected air hose can drain the container and make a mess of the carpet.

I will stay away from heater and just raise the room temperature to avoid cooking the fish.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Hi Rich,

It's really simple: either set up a rubbermaid or two or bring a small tank and set it up in your room. All you need is a little air pump, some airline and a sponge or two. Never a bad idea to bring lids and a few pieces of PVC as well...

Matt

jonclark96

Past CCA President
It really is an easy thing to do. Start seeding your sponge filters now by dropping them in your tanks at home to build up the BB. Rubbermaids from Target or Walmart are my vessel of choice, as they are cheap and can be stacked together for storage at home.

Last year I set up 6 bins to hold fish for the auction in all of about 30 minutes in my hotel room. I didn't heat the tanks and everything did okay. Just don't forget dechlorinator and a small bucket or hose to aid in filling and draining the tanks.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I have dirt magnet sponges in some of my tanks at home that I take with me when I travel.
I have a bunch of small 50watt heaters, air line, some gang valves, a couple multi plug adapters, two small air pumps. etc.

I will look for the other thread when I get a chance.

maramc

Members
In preparation of buying new fish and not immediately bringing them home, could I take small sponge filters and put in my established tank to be seeded? If I don't run air through them all the time, would they be "ready" when I need them? Was thinking about alternating an air line between the two or three filters every other day or so. My tank is already overfiltered in prep. of setting up a new larger tank (Fluval 406, HOB, and a large sponge filter).

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app