• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Aqua Clear 70 powerhead

Beeman

Members
Would an AC70 powerhead be about right on a Hydro Pro lV sponge filter. Don't want to suck the sponge thru the uptake tube! And also, does the sponge width make it difficult to mount the powerhead to the lip of the aquarium? Want to add one in each corner of my 90g in addition to 2 AC110 HOBs.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I'd run air instead of a power head. You will suck too much gunk onto the sponge with that height flow. I prefer sponge filters for bio filtration instead of mechanical.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Beeman

Members
Ok John, if I were to go with air, which air pump(obviously it doesn't need to be a big one) is the quietest. Whisper? Rena? Only running to one tank, so I just need enough for the 2 sponges. Quiet is a MUST, as this is in my living room!

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I've used a bunch of air pumps and they are much quieter than they used to be. I had a whisper on the tanks in my bed room and the bubbles made more noise than the pump.

hotwingz

Members
Ya i have whispers. Cant hear them over the bubbles and/or the rest of the tank.

Sent from my PG86100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Leffler817

CCA Members
+1 on the Whisper air pumps. I a handful of noisy ones but this is the quietest. I have one in my living room as well. I'm not sure but a larger one might have two outlets to run two sponges. You'd have to check. :happy0180:

Whisper%20Air%20Pumps.jpg

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I've swapped out all of my pumps for whispers. By having the diaphragm raised off the ground they are very quiet.

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Beeman

Members
Well I will have to mull it over. I must add that I'm not running an African tank, but a SA sparingly stocked. I did want to get the enhanced movement that a power head provides, but not too much. Thats why I didn't want to go too big with the PH.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
A 70 moves a lot of water. I have one in my SA 120 just with a basket over the intake to keep fish from getting sucked in. I have a sponge on the tank as well powered by a whisper air pump. It is in the family room and you can't hear anything over the kids and the tv.

Beeman

Members
Thanks. I know there is a Whisper with 2 outlets. Quiet is my #1 priority. Nice to be able to draw on so much experience.

hotwingz

Members
Ya i know the 100 has two but im not sure on the 60...and ya ask away youl learn more than you wanted too ha :D

Sent from my PG86100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App