• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Apparent death, but missing a body

I rarely have deaths, but my long-established planted 58 gallon new world tank has now racked up two in the past three days. I'd been away for a week, so I'm not sure when the first death occured. The little girl apisto did not come out to feed when I got home on Saturday. Later that day I found a BN snacking on her body. I was very bummed. Now this morning, my new keyhole boy from Sam is missing. I actually did my best to search the tank and I found no body. Jumping out is impossible. He was there yesterday. Grrrrrr.

My three bolivian rams and apisto boy are all fine, as are the BNs growing out.

Is it unusual to not find a body? he was a good sized boy . . . :(

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I've found that plecos will do a number on a dead body, but I've never completely lost a corpse unless it was a juvenile fish (say, less than 2" long). With all the plants you have in that tank, it may be that the body is nestled down somewhere you can't see it.

Cyianara69

Members
I have a tank with guppies and platies that is fully planted and if one of them dies, I really won't know unless the body floats or is at the front of the tank.

chriscoli

Administrator
I've had that happen, too, Holly. Sometimes I never find them. Sometimes I find them half-eaten later on.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I think it was probably the butler, in the library, with the candlestick.

I've had fish disappear, too, although I usually find at least part of the body.

False alarm!!!!!!!!! tore the tank apart this morning and who comes swimming out the back, looking surprised??? My keyhole! He looks fine, too. Though I think he may be getting bullied by the Bolivians, so the Bolivians may be looking for a new home soon

My alpha male bolivian boy, who is quite handsome, is very full of himself. I pulled him and put him in my 20 gallon. Let's see what happens with the keyhole.