• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Apistos spawned!!!

JasonC

Members
One male was recently discovered as a by-product of an import of wild rams (http://apisto.sites.no/page.aspx?pageid=53 scroll down a bit for the article). They are none the less exceedingly rare. Check out this thread on Apistogramma.com... think the pics look very similar to Chris' male. http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/i...mma-macmasteri-or-a-viejita.13131/#post-71191

It is generally understood that the DATZ pics on fishbase are the true A. viejita: http://www.fishbase.org/Photos/ThumbnailsSummary.php?ID=46716

Gorgeous fish.. that being said though, Macmasteri is also an amazing specimen! Gratz on the spawn!

Actually it is believed that there are no true Viejita in the hobby and they are all MacMasteri.

I dont know but def one of the prettiest Apisto.

...Bill

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Not exactly

One male was recently discovered as a by-product of an import of wild rams...

Think you mean "by-catch" - the other makes it sounds as if the rams "produced" it.

very nice!! by viejita "red" u mean this is a more made gene and away from the wilds? (like crossed?)

Not a "hybrid" per se - just a strain produced from selective breeding within the species - takes even more equipment and expertise than Chris has to "make" and insert genes. Thank goodness. :D

chriscoli

Administrator
Bah! Most of the eggs fungused...I did have some old alder cones in there....how long does their magic last? There are still a few eggs left but I'm not holding my breath on seeing any fry.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
How about it?

...how long does their magic last?

If you meant the romance, a couple years. rest easy, they'll surely go again. And again. And again. Could be they didn't get fertilized - only Apisto eggs I've ever seen fungus (not many with an attentive Mama) I've assumed were sterile.

Motivated me to move half my M/F/F/F quartet out of a 33L into a 10 and give them some focus/privacy. Been ready for some months, HEY! - last one to get some to auction is a rotten/fungused egg. :D

chriscoli

Administrator
If you meant the romance, a couple years. rest easy, they'll surely go again. And again. And again. Could be they didn't get fertilized - only Apisto eggs I've ever seen fungus (not many with an attentive Mama) I've assumed were sterile.

Hmmmm well I was referring more to the anti-fungus "magic" of the alder cones once they are in the tank....but I'm glad to hear that they are likely to give it another shot! :D

MHMoro

CCA Members
Superb pictures

Christine,

Those are superb pictures....what type of camera/light conditions did you use to capture the fish with the eggs?

Manuel

mscichlid

Founder
Bah! Most of the eggs fungused...I did have some old alder cones in there....how long does their magic last? There are still a few eggs left but I'm not holding my breath on seeing any fry.

Water has to be soft and acidic for the eggs to hatch. Lower the TDS and they will go at it again.

chriscoli

Administrator
Yeah, that's what i thought. Maybe it'll give me incentive to make up my mind about how i want to set up some RO water.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

chriscoli

Administrator
Christine,

Those are superb pictures....what type of camera/light conditions did you use to capture the fish with the eggs?

Manuel

Thanks, Manuel. I took these with my Canon t3i with the 18 to 135 mm kit lens that came with it. The lens is very so-so. I was also holding a flashlight so that I could see into the cave.

mscichlid

Founder
If I test my rainwater while it is filling the barrel it measures at 8pH. Once it is in the barrels inside and aerated it drops to 6. Julio explained to me why this happens and I can't remember what he said caused this. The only thing I heard that it was okay.

I'll contact him to get the answer.