• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Apistogramma (dwarf cichlids)

Does anyone breed or have these? There is alot of mixed info online and would like to understand them. To see if i can one day have them.

ddavila06

Members
soft acidic to neutral and mid 7s. depending on species 6.5 - 7.6 ish.
they like planted tanks with hiding and subdue lighting. caves, rocks, holes. depending on species they will fight with others of its own type. tell us a little about ur set up and maybe we can recommend?

Right now i have 5 10gal tanks getting 5 more soon on a three tier stand. I have a wet sump with about 60 pot scrubers in it and a floral c4. It will soon be made into a wet bry or i will buy one. I know they have to have slow moving water. So the pump will only be to serculate water. I will put sponge filters in every tank. My tap is 7ph and is in the hardness is in the 50-100 range. I would like to have 10-20 different ones out of the 54 there are.

chriscoli

Administrator
You need to do your homework with these fish.....it's not one size fits all. Some of the easy ones (or the line bred ones) do ok in average aquarium conditions. Some of the trickier ones need more specialized conditions......cooler temps, softer water, etc.

That's one problem i am having all my research online for the past week is all over the place. No one can agree on what these fish need. If i can't get good info on these fish. I WILL NOT try my fish are family.

Last edited:

chriscoli

Administrator
Well, you should pick one or two to start with and focus on those. Which ones interstate you the most?

I have about 10 i like here goes
Agassizi
Panduro
Cacatuoides
Nijsseni
Borelli
Viejita
Rubrolineata
Sp.affairs. "vielfleck"
Trifasciata
Kelleri

Well, you should pick one or two to start with and focus on those.

That's some great advice....

Most on your list will do fine on your water.

If your desire is to breed, then you may have to soften your water for some of the species.

True Viejita is extremely rare in the hobby with very few known to be kept in the aquaria. This fish is often confused with Apistogramma Macmasteri as is Viejita Red Neck.

You can keep them in 10's, but if you really want to observe, learn and understand the fish I'd go with a larger tank - 20 longs are really great.

For starter Apisto's I'd suggest a pair of the Triple Red Cacatuoides. They are super popular for good reason: easy to keep, great fins with beautiful colors and patterns.

Jmty

Members
i got apisto pebas fry and nannacara aurephalous fry both i keep with rain water 6+ph
this is rain water and 78d. they are sexable at this point or very good chances of being right.but way to cold now to ship.some other fry but still small.

ErnieG

Members
You need to do your homework with these fish.....it's not one size fits all. Some of the easy ones (or the line bred ones) do ok in average aquarium conditions. Some of the trickier ones need more specialized conditions......cooler temps, softer water, etc.

Very true Christine.