• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Apistogramma cacatoides Question

Paul S

I put a pair of triple reds in my 20 gal planted tank. They rarely come out of hiding, even when I add food to the tank. Is this normal behavior?
Paul

iamzrad

Members
My guys always hid. Eventually they started to come out when food was being dropped. Are you using floating or sinking?

Paul S

Just black worms and flake food. The female comes out occasionally, but the male (who is easily double her size) stays hidden almost all the time. He made a place to hide behind a rock and he stays there. I use a turkey baster to squirt black worms to him. I can't see him so I guess he's eating them because if he wasn't, he'd be dead by now.

mscichlid

Founder
You should rearrange their tank a little. Put the flowerpot or coconut shell towards the front of the tank. Another method would be to get dither fish.

Paul S

Actually, I don't have a flower pot or coconut shell in the tank. Could that be part of the problem?

rsretep

Members
well apistos do like a cave to hide in for security

i keep a few in planted tanks and unless they have tankmates they do like to hide....give them some danios or tetras for tankmates and i think you all will be happy

good luck :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Paul S

I'll give it a try. I've go a couple ottos in there already. Thanks.
BTW, is that what's meant by the term "dither" fish?

kaj41354

Members
From PFK:
Dither fish
Fish that spend their time in the open and by doing so encourage more nervous species to come out and be seen.

I'll give it a try. I've go a couple ottos in there already. Thanks.
BTW, is that what's meant by the term "dither" fish?