• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Anything To Assist With Julie Growth Rate?

Charlutz

Members
I got 7 julie transcriptus about 6 months ago and haven't gotten much growth out of them. One has about doubled in size from 1" to just under 2", but the others haven't grown much. Just want to check and see if I am doing everything I can. I know they are supposed to grow slowly anyway. They are housed in a 40g breeder tank with 8 callochromis of about 1.5", four small syno petricolas of about 1.5-2" and two 1.25" leleupi. There is very little aggression except the callos squabbling amongst themselves. Filtration is a single aquaclear 500. They get a 15g water change once a week. GH is about 20, KH is about 15, ph is 8.6 or above. Temp holds at 79. Substrate is coral sand. There is very little rockwork. I feed a combination of 1mm NLS pellets (presoaked), OSI brine shrimp flake and frozen mysis. They get the mysis approximately 3 times per week and are usually fed once a day, unless I get home before 730p when the timer shuts the light off and they get a second meal. Thanks for any tips.

Tim

Members
Many of the Tangs are slow growers, but not all. ;)

As Maddog said, multiple feedings per day is the best way to get your fish to grow faster. Usually this means more water changes. A lot of people looking to grow out fry quickly feed anywhere from three to five times per day and do 20% daily water changes. For me, I've never raised fish for the purpose of getting them to grow out quickly. If you're looking to get a pair or two from your group, just stay the course and they'll be pairing off soon enough. I had a group of J. regani that paired up into two pairs in about 8 months. The remaining two eventually paired off, about five years later. Now they won't stop producing fry. :rolleyes:
Tim

Charlutz

Members
Many of the Tangs are slow growers, but not all. ;)

As Maddog said, multiple feedings per day is the best way to get your fish to grow faster. Usually this means more water changes. A lot of people looking to grow out fry quickly feed anywhere from three to five times per day and do 20% daily water changes. For me, I've never raised fish for the purpose of getting them to grow out quickly. If you're looking to get a pair or two from your group, just stay the course and they'll be pairing off soon enough. I had a group of J. regani that paired up into two pairs in about 8 months. The remaining two eventually paired off, about five years later. Now they won't stop producing fry. :rolleyes:
Tim[/b]

I'm not looking to grow them too fast, just thinking something isn't quite going as well as it should. Feeding more than twice a day would be tough, but I guess I can be better about making sure they get something in the evening.

longstocking

Members
Some of the callochromis that are from your same batch are 2 inches now. So you are seeing slow growth rate.

Feeding more will help... but I only feed 1 time a day... sometimes 2. I'd do more than 15 gallons a week. I'd do more like 20 gallons.

Charlutz

Members
I'll try the extra water change too. Thanks Sarah.

PS - I tried to snap some pics of the callos for you, but they are quick and the reflections from the way the tank/room is set up are particularly bad. I think I'll have to net them into a smaller tank to get a good pic.

marge618

CCA member
I'll try the extra water change too. Thanks Sarah.

PS - I tried to snap some pics of the callos for you, but they are quick and the reflections from the way the tank/room is set up are particularly bad. I think I'll have to net them into a smaller tank to get a good pic.[/b]

Let us know how this turns out. I'd like to know more about how to make sure that young fish reach their expected size.

Marge

fishorangeswimming.gif