• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Anyone Keeping Metriclima Estherae?

marge618

CCA member
I am interested in finding out about Metriclima estherae - the blue male with orange female.
What can you tell me about them? Add pics of your own fish if you have them.

Later,
Marge

mscichlid

Founder
This must be a hard fish to keep or no one but you has them. Nice looking fish...for an African cichlid. That's a very good thing! You do have them don't you?

cyradis4

Members
I think the problem is that they used to be TOO common..... And a lot of hobbiest have stopped keeping them...... But then, I could be wrong.

Later!
Amanda.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I used to have a colony of M. estherae where both males and females are orange. Over time, the males get a slightly peachy color (and larger) while the females stay an intense orange.

They're a typical mbuna - a couple males and a few females make a nice colony. Crowding them helps decrease aggression. They like rocks (or pvc pipes) and hard, alkaline water....and lots of water changes and filtration. They appreciate a good amount of greens (spirulina flakes, algae, etc.) in their diet, although flakes and pellets are just fine.

They're mouthbrooders, so females hold the babies in their mouths for up to about about 4 weeks (depending on temps). Generally good parents. I raised lots and lots of babies from my colony...that the LFS was happy to give me a couple of bucks each for when they reached about 2".

Hope that helps! They're not rare, per se, but rarity doesn't a nice fish make :)

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
Marge, you need to have these fish like NOW! They are really cool Mbunas and you'll love them.

Good Luck,

RM

SubMariner

marge618

CCA member
Apparently there are 3 or 4 variations of the Metriclima Estherae.

1.blue male with yellow female or orange female
2.something inbetween: male is a light orange female hard to tell apart
3.red male with red female (more towards orange)
4.a mottled looking fish that I hope is more attractive in person. Pics look a bit odd to me.

Thanks for the info. I am still considering the blue male w yellow/orange female