• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Anyone interested in going in on filter foam?

One trick of using any foam filter is to use the slowest flow feasible. High flow will just compact the foam making it less effective in mechanical and biological filtration. Circulation and filtration are not the same and it's best to separate the two by installing a dedicated circulation pump. This is why sponge filter is best operated by air pump, not power head. Power head is fine for large foam filters due to large surface area.

There is a vendor that sells fittings to install corner foam filters for big tanks. I like the idea better than a sump system or canister filters because there is no external plumbing and zero chance of flooding.

captmicha

Members
I have some of that and have used it, but I just wish it was available in lower density.
Me too.

I saw a study about which PPI has the best results in terms of biological filtration, but I can't find it anymore. It was about sewer or potable water or something. Lol. Memory sucks.

I usually do an air pump for circulation in smaller tanks. In the larger ones, I'm finding that I need movement on the bottom to get debris in reach of the filters. So that's another thing I need to invest in.

I have filters on both ends (facing in towards the center) of one of my 55 gallons and even that's not enough. I need wave makers on the bottom.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Me too.

I saw a study about which PPI has the best results in terms of biological filtration, but I can't find it anymore. It was about sewer or potable water or something. Lol. Memory sucks.
In terms of biological filtration, the higher the PPI, the more surface area, and more places for bacteria and archaea to colonize.

http://www.swisstropicals.com/library/swisstropicals-poret-foam/

Having said that, you’ve got to balance that against the need to clean the foam. I generally prefer 20 PPI for my corner filters, but I bought a tower block filter from Swiss Tropicals last weekend, and went with Stephan Tanner’s recommendation of 30 PPI Poret.

captmicha

Members
In terms of biological filtration, the higher the PPI, the more surface area, and more places for bacteria and archaea to colonize.

http://www.swisstropicals.com/library/swisstropicals-poret-foam/

Having said that, you’ve got to balance that against the need to clean the foam. I generally prefer 20 PPI for my corner filters, but I bought a tower block filter from Swiss Tropicals last weekend, and went with Stephan Tanner’s recommendation of 30 PPI Poret.
I'm trying to find finer foam for boosting filtration and polishing. I might use a thin layer of Poret with my current 30 PPI foam.

cabinetmkr39

DavidG / CCA Member
I'm a little late to this post but FYI Discus Hans has a lot of used Poret foam that he is selling.
I bought a couple sheets from him to use in my sump. Good stuff good price also.