• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Anyone here breeding jewels?

Aqua410

Members
I guess I need to read some more on the varieties available but the ones that caught my eye are the red variety.

chriscoli

Administrator
Yes, do your homework! There are lots of hybrids and a few line bred strains too. Most of the Hemichromis are some shade of red. There's also a range of personalities across the varieties from slightly testy (Guinea II) to a little angry (lifalili Moanda and guttatus) to murderously angry (stellifer) to bat**** psycho (5-spot jewels).

Aqua410

Members
Found an answer to the size question it does appear there are somewhat significant size differences among the genus

Last edited:

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I used to breed them. I had pair that would breed almost immediately after I took the fry out. They were EXCELLENT parents and bred me out of so many tanks, I rehomed them. I couldn't keep up. But the male was BEAUTIFUL!

Aqua410

Members
If I get a pair and don't pull the fry will nature just take it's course? I wont be able to have a ton of fry/ grow out tanks maybe one tops.

chriscoli

Administrator
I find that mine defend their fry for a few days in a community tank....then the other tank members start to pick them off.

When I have a pair alone in a tank, they raise their fry for a good while. Then one day, they turn against them. The downside to having a pair alone in a tank is that sometimes the adults will turn against each other and one will always lose if you don't intervene.