• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Anyone hear of this

Dmhcichlids

Members
Has anyone used 3m black R-type roofing granules as aquarium sand and what do you think. I called a local supply company and they said this is similiar to 3m color quartz T-type that was discontinued.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
I use both t and s grade and I'm happy. I've never seen the r grade. My fish like t dig in it as well without any issues.

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
it's similar in textuure to T grade. The lady at RAMM said she sold it for aquarium use with no complaints so far.

Hawkman2000

Members
In my expirience, you can put just about anything in a tank that doesn't have harmfull chemicals. I just boil it for a few minutes to sterilize.

just received this back from them...

We are open Monday - Friday 8:00 am - 4:30 pm. We are a family business, so sometimes we are here later than 4:30, if you are running tight, you can call and most likely we can wait for you.

Pricing varies by color:
standard colors in "S" grade (finer - sand like material) $30.35/bag
premium colors in "S" grade & all "T" grade products $36.42/bag

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
just received this back from them...

We are open Monday - Friday 8:00 am - 4:30 pm. We are a family business, so sometimes we are here later than 4:30, if you are running tight, you can call and most likely we can wait for you.

Pricing varies by color:
standard colors in "S" grade (finer - sand like material) $30.35/bag
premium colors in "S" grade & all "T" grade products $36.42/bag
YEAH THEY ARENT OPEN WEEKENDS. HOWEVER WHEN I CALLED THE GUY WAS REALLY NICE AND WAITED TILL ALMOST 5 CUZ I TOLD HIM THERE WAS NO WAY TO GET THERE IN RUSH HOUR TRAFFIC. THEY WILL WORK WITH YOU AND YOU CANT BEAT HIS PRICES COMPARED TO OTHERS. ;)

STATMATT

Members
Thanks for the info. The next time I have a day off work, I'll make the trip. But it is fantastic to know that they have a great customer relationship. The place in Springfield, VA has "We only work with pool service companies" written all over their website, it makes me feel like I'm bothering them to even ask.

Thanks everyone for your input on this. I spent the day going through Lows and Home Depot and couldn't find any type of substrate that would really work. And I really don't like what Annandale Pets and Congressional Aquarium have in stock either.

verbal

CCA Members
If you want pool filter sand. There is a place in Vienna(Leslie Pools) that sells retail.

I can post some pics if you want to see what it looks like in a tank.

STATMATT

Members
sure verbal if you can post some pics that would be great. it is quite a drive from Dulles to Glen Burnie. and bringing back 150# on a motorcycle is challenging at best.

STATMATT

Members
I'm not saying its not possible, but last week I took 80 pounds of dog food on the back of the motorcycle without tying it down. I got a gust of wind and I thought the kibble was going to be all over the road.

At that point, I thought.... would I stop and pick up what's left or keep going. I decided I'd keep going, because the ticket I would get would probably exceed the amount of just buying two more bags of dog food.

I made it home safely, and more importanly safely for all of those following too close behind me.

verbal

CCA Members
These pics might be a little lighter than it appears, but it should give you a general idea. If you want it a little darker you could probably mix in some Tahitian Moon Sand or something similar.

150_shot_1.jpg

full_tank_shot_2.jpg

pfs_shot_1.jpg

speced

Members
I picked up a 50lb bag for $12 from this place in Chantilly last week and put it in my community tank.

http://www.lewis-aquatech.com/

Here's a closeup of the sand with my gold rams.

PhotoApr2575506AM.jpg

STATMATT

Members
Thanks verbal and speced,
I'm looking for a grain that is maybe a little larger.

Verbal, I have what you have in one of my tanks, but I got this bag of silicate sand from Congressional Aquarium about four years ago that is awesome. It is just a little grainier, or the diameter is about 2 to three times as large as these samples you have shown. I'll see if I can get a close up pic.

I tried mixing in the tahitian moon sand and it was a disaster, the moon sand doesn't mix well and it tends to stay clumped together on the top especially after cleaning. It doesn't sink as fast so it almost always ends up on top of the sand or in my fliter.

Thanks again for all of your input.

Matt