• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Any Speaking Suggestions?

zackcrack00

Members
So as I'm preparing for tomorrow, I'm practicing my presentation. From anyone who's done this, or even anyone who's noticed a flaw in someone's public speaking, do you have any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Pick a good pace watch your "ummms" And "likes" be confident act as if its me or Becca or someone else your comfortable speaking with. Decide if you want questions while speaking or after (be firm about how many questions) don't let ppl take you off track.

kevin911

Members
Pick a good pace watch your "ummms" And "likes" be confident act as if its me or Becca or someone else your comfortable speaking with. Decide if you want questions while speaking or after (be firm about how many questions) don't let ppl take you off track.

This is awesome!

Sent from my HTC One using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

JLW

CCA Members
Don't take questions during the talk. They can distract you and get you really off topic.

Keep in mind which slides come next, and what you're going to say.

Be concise, and clear. That's about it.

Oh, and... from experience... go to the bathroom before you talk.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Oh, and... from experience... go to the bathroom before you talk.

Related to this, keep a bottle of water handy. Hydration helps stop your tongue from sticking to the top of your mouth due to nerves and dehydration.

I had a professor for a public speaking class in college who suggested the following:
* Focus on the 3rd-4th row back and look just over their heads, but don't focus your eyes. It gives the appearance of eye contact, without resulting in possible distraction.
* Imagine that your audience is naked. They would be more uncomfortable than you. If that is too distracting/disgusting, imagine they are penguins. People don't fear penguins.

In the end, know that we are there to support you.

olzkool

Members
All very good suggestions. I have done a quite s few speaking events for my job and the ones above are right on. If it's your first, you will be nervous, just try and roll with it. We are all friends here so if you need to kinda take a break and s breath we will understand. your not getting graded on this, just be casual about it. The naked thing works, but don't stare at one person, it would be kinda awkward for them since they know you are picturing them naked now ......or maybe not lol

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Kinda late for much advice.

Pictures are better than words on a slide.
THe slide should not have many words.
Each slide should be up no more and 30 seconds.
So for a 15 minute talk, thirty slides or less is about right.

Videos are great but they should have a specific message and probably not more than a minute long.

These are only guidelines and can be broken as needed.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
All very good suggestions. I have done a quite s few speaking events for my job and the ones above are right on. If it's your first, you will be nervous, just try and roll with it. We are all friends here so if you need to kinda take a break and s breath we will understand. your not getting graded on this, just be casual about it. The naked thing works, but don't stare at one person, it would be kinda awkward for them since they know you are picturing them naked now ......or maybe not lol

Now they will def know your picturing them naked

zackcrack00

Members
LOL, thanks everyone! My presentation is right around twelve slides, and every one has pictures. I will definitely take all of this wonderful advice! Thank you!

JLW

CCA Members
I have trouble picturing people naked, and usually just request that certain peopl-- I'm gonna stop right there. :p

+2 on the bottle of water nearby. It actually makes such a big difference that I've suggested to many clubs where I speak that they make sure they've given their speaker one.

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
Zach,

You did a wonderful job in your presentation. You seemed comfortable and alot of poise. Congratulations.