• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Another Fishroom Episode

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Does it ever end?

A few months ago, I lost my female amatitlania siquia from Grenada, Nicaragua. The male has been living a lonely bachelor's life since then in his own 10 tank. Luckily, Matt (who has way more brown and tan and grey fish than I do) also had a breeding pair and had grown up a lovely lady that I picked up from him on Saturday. She went in a net breeder Saturday evening so I could set up a divider on Sunday.

All was going as planned. I had a spare 10 in my garage that I used to test fit the egg crate divider I made. I know the 10 isn't a long term solution, but it was going to have to do until she put some size on her and I could move them to another tank. I took the divider upstairs to my spare bedroom turned fish room and put it in the tank. This particular tank is situated on end under my 55. You really can't see much of the tank without contorting yourself on the ground. In any case, I put the divider in the tank and it seemed a bit tighter than the test fit in the garage, but it stayed in place. I dropped the female in the tank and all seemed well. This was about 10 AM. The family was coming over for Easter so I cleaned up and headed downstairs.

Around 3 PM I went upstairs to check on the kids and popped my head in the fish room to make sure that everything was okay. From across the room, I saw that the divider had already fallen over. I'm thinking, "So much for my engineering degree"... As I bend over to open the tank, I notice that there is only about 3/4" of water in the bottom of the tank and the fish are flopping around trying to stay wet!

Turns out that wedging the egg crate in the tank put a pressure point on the glass that it could not handle. Good news was the fish were still alive, bad news is that I had 10 gallons of water soaked into the carpet on the 2nd floor guest bedroom.

I've wet vac'd and steam cleaned and wet vac'd again. Then I did it all over again, but as you can imagine, it still smells like someone dumped 10 gallons of dirty fish water into my carpet. So far, no evidence that it leaked through to the 1st floor. I've got fans running now, along with a dehumidifier and a space heater to try and dry things out.

We will see if this works or if it become the impetus my wife had been looking for to get rid of the carpet and put hard floors upstairs.

Jon, so sorry! Water on hardwood wouldn't be too cool, either, because it causes the boards to cup...trust me, I know from experience! Glad your fish survived, though!

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I can't pull up the carpet, as there are 9 tanks in the room where there was a spill. I'll break down the tanks if I can't get it dry with the current course of action. I just need to figure out where to put 250 gallons worth of tanks while I mess with the carpet.

Crap. But did the fish survive?

I don't think I'd pull up the whole carpet. Maybe make a slit just enough to pull it up a bit to get air under them?

Plenipotentiary-at-large
You've a big yard - time for a barn-raising

We will see if this works or if it become the impetus my wife had been looking for to get rid of the carpet and put hard floors upstairs.

Long as that's the only defenestration candidate She has in mind..

IME warping wood takes more than brief exposure to moisture and generally requires a degree of soaking to deform. As even synthetic material wicks moisture to where there is less/none, ample air circulation should do it.

If you can get some separation between the carpet and the floor, so much the better, especially as it's only the padding underneath that's at risk of acting as a long-term sponge. If you're clever and especially if it's shag/thick carpet you could carefully cut a slit in both large enough to accommodate the hose from your shop vac and run the flow in reverse, afterwards using a curved glover's needle to sew the carpet back together, no need to stitch the padding. Don't have to "enter" directly over the spill and if you could get a corner up somewhere you could blow/circulate air underneath everything that's not held down by fish tanks/etc. Might also play with your registers to crank the temperature in that room for a day or two.

Luck.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Crap. But did the fish survive?

I don't think I'd pull up the whole carpet. Maybe make a slit just enough to pull it up a bit to get air under them?

I'm with Holly on this one. If the only other option is to drain the other tanks, maybe cutting a slit in a fishroom carpet is the better plan.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I heated the room and dumped the dehumidifier out once last night and again this morning. Becca wasn't happy about running the space heater all night, so I cut it off when I went to bed.

There is still a bit of the stinky wet carpet smell and a wierd stain on the carpet. I'm going to go another day or so with the dehumidifier and maybe try to lift up the carpet a bit to get airflow underneath when I get home tonight.

On a related note, some have said that hardwood isn't a viable option for a different floor type. What would you use on a 2nd story room?

JasonC

Members
If it is to be a dedicated fish room, maybe tile or, if you are more daring, maybe give that garage floor epoxy a try? If there is a desire for it to be something other than a fish room and the draw is toward carpet, how about carpet squares (functions like tile, installs with mastic or self adhesive) or berber carpet with no carpet pad?

Sorry to hear about your tank though... sounds like my kind of luck... except your fish survived.. I would not have been so lucky.

If it makes you laugh at all about it, about 10 minutes after reading this last night, I accidentally planted my foot in a bucket of water and plants sitting on my basement floor and put about 3 gallons of water into my own carpet. :angry3::lol:

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Thought about some sort of sheet vinyl flooring, but that would need to be replaced if we ever changed it back to a bedroom. Still not a bad idea if I can find one that looks decent.

Anyone have experience with engineered wood flooring?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

JasonC

Members
Anyone have experience with engineered wood flooring?

Used it once... actually bamboo.. Looks great, but since it still has a layer of wood, I would imagine that you would still be subject to the same water hardships as normal hardwood. On that though though... the click together stuff seems to seal relatively tight... wonder if it would be tight enough to prevent seepage to underlayers for at least long enough to clean up fresh spills before damage is done?

chriscoli

Administrator
We have laminate flooring in our kitchen. We love it but were warned that if the dishwasher ever leaked, we'd have damaged flooring. It'll pucker and peel apart. It's great with little dribbles and spills though.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
And here I had my heart set on setting the ridgepole

Ozium for the smell - it's phenomenal, cheap and a single bottle has a hundred+ doses. Box of baking soda sprinkled over the damp and then vacuumed in a day or two might also work. Only thing I know for the stain is to get it wet again a la shampooing to merge/smooth the stained part into the unstained part - this actually works.

Regarding hardwood: My hardwood floors get wet constantly - ain't no thing. Hardwood doesn't mind or react to getting wet as long as it doesn't stay that way - laminates are a different animal. With tongue and groove there'd be no risk of seepage even with a tank blowout, and assuming the wood is well oiled and/or sealed, even frequent wetting won't effect it. Vinyl and linoleum basically suck IMO so I wouldn't think twice about going the hardwood route for reasons of aesthetics, resale value and eliminating any need for a do-over, but you would need to use broad heavy duty "coasters" for the stands to distribute the weight and prevent compaction/damage to the wood under the legs. That's the do it once, do it right and forget about it forever approach, or:

You could also pull the carpet and just paint the floorboards (Sam approach). Nice heavy porch enamel would seal any cracks and be an expedient, functional and attractive intermediary step - and you wouldn't even have to move the racks. Might solicit input from your missus on color (not that you have to act on it). :D

Still like the idea of JC's Fish Barn and Imbibarium

Last edited: