• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

annoying air pump hum!

Ading522

Members
recently, one of my two tetra whisper 60's making an awful humming noise.. considering buying a new one.. i tried to fix it by opening it and inspecting the vibrating fork/ hammer on the diaphragm..does not seem to rub against each other, and the diaphragm is not cracked either.. it seems to just have an awful drone noise.. anyone have a remedy? or what other nice and quiet air pumps do you use on your setups?

Ading522

Members
thanks! but the kit would cost as much as getting a new one from kens.. and i think even big als has it on sale as well.. the kit would cost me 10.25 @ kens while a new one will cost me 13.95 ..

what brand of air pumps have you been using and what are your experiences regarding the noise?

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Whisper pumps suck

Whisper diaphragms are legendary for being junk. The fact that they refuse to sell just the replacement diaphragms is basically Spectrum Brands (parent corp.) telling you/us/customers to go **** ourselves –*it's why I won't buy anything from Tetra, Marineland or Jungle.

IME Airpods are ok/quiet, Renas are stronger but noisier. Dolphins are very quiet but low output/$. Nothing smallish I would swear by...

Ading522

Members
Whisper diaphragms are legendary for being junk. The fact that they refuse to sell just the replacement diaphragms is basically Spectrum Brands (parent corp.) telling you/us/customers to go **** ourselves –*it's why I won't buy anything from Tetra, Marineland or Jungle.

IME Airpods are ok/quiet, Renas are stronger but noisier. Dolphins are very quiet but low output/$. Nothing smallish I would swear by...

looks like im going to try the airpods.. :) thanks sam!

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I'm in the same boat as Sam as far as none of the smaller pumps being all that quiet, although I am using a Whisper in my bedroom tanks and it isn't that bad. I put it under the stand on the carpet and it's okay.

Ading522

Members
i have mine under the stand on the carpet too, but it seems to be louder when i do.. might be getting a airpod soon..

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
I do not know what the problem is but
1. air leaks can cause much more noise than without the leak. So check the tubing, maybe cut an inch off the ends near the pump and see if that helps.
2. the back flow valves can partially fail causing more noise. These are usually flat pieces of rubber held fast over the inlet and outlet of the diaphragm. THese can fail due to dust, dirt, accululated oil that dries out. So you might try replacing them, or you might try cleaning them, or you could add a few drops of silicon oil to these locations and see what happens.
3. higher back pressure on the pump causes more noise than lower back pressure. Perhaps the air stone or filter you are pumping air to has become plugged. Replace the stone or clean out the air line at the filter and see if that helps.
4. buy a new pump. I really think the ones designed for deeper water, and they will be advertized as such, work well and silently.

Frank

Ading522

Members
Thanks frank! Would't cracks be caused by old age? I have had this particular pump for about 5 months.. I do keep them under the tank..in my 125 I keep two pumps rated at 60 gallons each.. the air stones are 1" in length and have big open pores to allow easier flow and more aeration in the tank.. the air tubing I have runs about 42" up the tank from the floor, and then down to the bottom of the 21" high aquarium.. is that a factor to why it makes that noise? The other pump seems to do quite well..its just a month newer than the one with a problem..I will try your suggestions when I get home..

Ading522

Members
Easy solution.

Get rid of the air pump.

What do you think you need it for?

To run sponge filters in some tanks, and for my six footer, to deliver more oxygen, aeration of the surface..I use canisters, and I don't think they have enough O2 coming in the tanks..am I wrong?

JLW

CCA Members
OK, if you're running a sponge filter, you can run it this way (or with a powerhead, which is quietter, more efficient, but way more expensive). Canisters are generally adequate as long as the tank is not overstocked.

Ading522

Members
Well, i do run an overstocked tank, growing out all the juvies i bought as a group..will be thinning them out some.. the problem with powerheads i found is that they stir up sand..is there a way to aerate water easier? plus i kind of like the look ..hehe.. will try all those suggestions you guys made, thanks a lot!

AquaStudent

Members
A smaller airpump May have trouble pumping water to a deeper depth. The strain could be causing that noise.

I'm using a midsize addition on my 55. I've had it running on it for about 9 months (and on and off for months on other tanks before that)

The thing I do to make it quietest for me is place it level on the shelf right below my tank. Something soft but study like a rubber mat can help absorb some vibrations

Edit: my canister doesn't provide enough surface adgitation to supply my African cichlid tank with O2. The airstone works well

Ading522

Members
thanks! i will try that as well.. but in a bit.. i am preparing to move my livestock to a 155 bowfront!! #excited