• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Angels attacking plants?

mchambers

Former CCA member
My two silver angels have suddenly decided to attack the taller plants in their tank. This while they are also guarding eggs. I've had these two for several years, but they've never done this before.

Some background: last Saturday, in connection with catching fish for the auction, I moved all the inhabitants out of my 70 gallon tank, so that I could clean out the tank, especially as to algae. Sunday morning, I cleaned the tank and rescaped it, adding some plants, then added the angels and some other fish to the tank. Sunday afternoon, the angels starting cleaning off the filter intake (their favorite location for eggs), and then proceeded to cover it with eggs.

Today, I noticed that two of the taller plants in the tanks, some Ludwigia and a Nymphoides, were looking pretty ratty. I watched the tank for a while, and saw the male angel attacking the Nymphoides. He was biting off chunks from the top of the plant, then spitting them out. Later in the day, I saw both angels doing it.

It's not a big deal, of course (except that now I'll never have an aquascape like those Jen Williams creates), but I'm very curious why the fish are doing this. Suggestions welcomed.

Kareen

Members
There are just cleaning house LOL. You may have to move the plants they look like there not happy with them try moving them to a anther spot in your tank.