• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Ammonia strips vs API kit?

Cabsmome

Members
I've got a 36 gallon cichlid tank. It's been cycled and has some cichlids in it now. The ammonia level was high according to out LFS and we have finally gotten it under control I believe. During this process we have been using ammonia strips. Ive not found them very easy to read with the whole color matching thing and I'm worried about the accuracy. I keep running water up to my LFS which is 15-20 minutes away to double check. Any suggestions to help my doubts? API kit is only a suggestion. I've no real clue as to what to get. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

dogofwar

CCA Members
Get a sponge filter or some gravel or some filter media from someone with a mature tank.... and your tank will be "cycled"...

Matt

WendyFish

Members
I've had good luck with the API kit. The ammonia is very easy to read, as is the nitrite. The nitrate, less so, but you can get a general order of magnitude (little/lot).