• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

AMMONIA HELP

Rfreddy321

Members
i had a previous problem in the tank where all my cichlids died. I called and a cichlid keeper told me to drain the tank and refill with water. I originally thought that it was an infection, but I now know that it was probably an ammonia issue. I began a new cycle about 2 weeks ago. I posted a big bacteria bllom thread and got some repsonses for water changes. I did a test and the ammonia reading is in the dark green range.

I orginally started with Stress Zyme and Tropical Lagoon after one week gave me a concentrated bacteria that is supposed to cycle the tank in one week. I went back to TL last Friday, which was the end of the 1 week and about 2 weeks since the Stress Zyme cycle and had the water tested fearing mine may have been old, He had never seen any reading that high. I took a reading last night and it is still dark green and if I remember looks about the same as the previous from last Friday. They suggested to do a small water change (5-10 gallons and really vaccum out the gravel); however due to some family issues, I have not been able to do that yet. Should I just ride it out, do the small water change, add new bacteria????

All expert help is greatly appreciated. There are currently 4 small 2" cichlids in the tank and I am feeding them small smounts every 2-3 days.

TheWire

Members
you probably has an ammonia spike from the first batch of fish. Did you add all the fish all in once setting? the bioload probably couldnt support that much of load.
Instead of cycling, why not just a fellow member to get you a "dirty" floss you can use in your tank to have an instant cycle with fish and all?
I think i have those "dirty" filter lol you can have.

Oh..i never use those stress zyme..never believe it will work anyway. Also for emergency purpose, you can double the Prime dose...it helps too

Jumbie

Members
How long has the tank been set up, and what size tank is it? I think when you are having problems with your tanks (i.e. fish deaths, algae blooms, etc.) sometimes changing 1/4 every day or every two days is better than doing an 100% water change in one day. If the fish currently in the tank have survived everything up to this point than it may not hurt to ride it out for a week or two. If you do so only feed a small amount once every 2-3 days.

Rfreddy321

Members
Thanks so much for the help. I have appreciated all the help since I joined and can't wait to meet most of you at the next meeting. I would like to especially thank TheWire and SubMariner for turning me on to Prime and the dirty floss idea. I am going to do a water change of 25-50% tonight, use the Prime and change again in 2-3 days. I have cut back on the feeding (4 fish) to every 2-3 days. I have had some real drama's lately. Thanks all.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Thanks so much for the help. I have appreciated all the help since I joined and can't wait to meet most of you at the next meeting. I would like to especially thank TheWire and SubMariner for turning me on to Prime and the dirty floss idea. I am going to do a water change of 25-50% tonight, use the Prime and change again in 2-3 days. I have cut back on the feeding (4 fish) to every 2-3 days. I have had some real drama's lately. Thanks all.
I'd do water changes daily, if you can. (Hope you have a Python!)

I'll second the votes for Prime and used filter material.

I am not sure where you live but, I have used filter floss I will be pulling today or tomorrow if you need some dirty floss. Good luck.. Wait it out with small water changes. Your tank can be cycling for as long as 2 months without some dirty floss to help jump start your system. I have never really heard too much good about the bacterial starter stuff. Good luck. Feel free to PM me and I will send you my phone number so you can get some immediate help anytime if you need it. I will offer you what knowledge I have.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Cycling a tank always seems to be easy except for ever now and then one does not seem to want to do it right. If you have any established tanks, the best way is to use a cup or two of the gravel or whatever substrate is in the old established tank in the new one. If you have a sponge filter in an established tank and everything is great in that tank, you can either place the sponge filter in the new tank or squeeze some of the brown gunk (a cup of liquid brown gunk at least) out of the sponge filter into the new tank. It does look ugly for a day but it will clear up. Also, plants suck up ammonia nicely. SO if you have some hornwort or duck weed or most any plant in excess put some in the new tank. They are coated with good bacteria and will suck up any ammonia. Also make sure there is good flow of water throughout the tank. All of the good bacteria and the plant need oxygen just like the fish do. The plants might produce oxygen during the time they get light, but they consume oxygen at night.

Frank

Spine

Members
What type of filter are you using. I once had this problem while using a canister filter with a clogged prefilter. The prefilter was clogged with plant leave and other muck,this prevented the pump from flowing correctly.
Once I cleaned the filter, along with small water changes my ammonia levels went down right away.