• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Amazonia Exhibit at National Zoo

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I took my son down to the zoo today and we spent a lot of time in the Amazonia exhibit. It really is a nice exhibit and it looks like the cichlids they have in the big tanks have been busy making babies since the last time I was there.

Anyone know which species are in the tanks? I know the big tank with the arapima has a big colony of what I thought were dovii, but aren't they central american and not from the Amazon? The other tank has what look like red devils and/or midas, but again, aren't these species from farther north? Unfortunately, the species did not appear to be labeled that I noticed, only a short description of cichlids.

In any case, they really are beautiful displays, but I'd like to know a little more about what specifically are in the tanks.

Jon

cmcpart0422

Members
Im pretty sure I saw some flowerhorns at that display and it makes me questions their accuracy. It was a really cool set up they got there non the less.

Andrew

Members
The dovii and flowerhorns were tossed in by a less than scrupulous visitor. Since the zoo has a no kill policy, even on invaders, they haven't been able to get rid of them.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Honestly, with that being the case, I am surprised the exhibit is not full of people's large unwanted fish.

dogofwar

CCA Members
According to one of the volunteers there, they've been trying to figure out what to do for some time...every imagnable alternative has been proposed and discussed...

If squirrels invaded a rare bird exhibit they'd roust them... Not so easy with fish

anyone know if the new elephant area will have a water area that could be suitable?

Matt

dogofwar

CCA Members
Honestly, with that being the case, I am surprised the exhibit is not full of people's large unwanted fish.

according to the same volunteer it happens every now and again and they've foiled a couple attempts. People try to drop them in from above...

Matt

I recommended that they quit feeding the red tail cats and let nature take over...

Andrew

Members
Dovii, Midas and a few flowerhorns. The dovii are spectacular and I wish they could find a more appropriate display for them.