• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Almost killed everything in 180

Acpape0

Members
So I had a "moment of dumb" this morning... I started draining my 180, it takes a while because I gravity drain it through a 50ft python. So I got it started and couldn't find my large clip to hold it in the tank so I just closed the glass lid over the hose. I then started putting together a power wheel for my son and lost track of time... My kids were playing outside at the time, but my 3 year old walked in to check on if his car was put together yet and walked by the 180 and came screaming into my living room that moby(name of arowana) has no water. So I instantly remember I was draining... I run into the room to find a 1/2 of hater in half of the tank, a motionless arowana, a buried ray and some panicking altifrons....my heart stopped....
I grabbed the arowana bare handed and dropped him I to the sump tank. And hurried to hook up the faucet and transfer the hose. Got the going and dumped in prime. Now back to the arowana, laying motionless in the sump, I grabbed ahold of him and started miming him back and forth in the water to try and get some 02 on his gills. He did start to move a bit. Once the water was a little higher in the tank I transferred him into that and repeated the procedure until he swam out my hand... Wasn't sure what to do with the ray, he is still buried in the sand...I am hoping by the time everything is refilled he perk up and come out

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

chriscoli

Administrator
wow, I'm so sorry you had a rough morning! I've done that before, though....fortunately, my fish all tend to be small so they found some dips in the substrate to lay in and stay underwater.

good thinking on the arowana!

Let us know how the ray does, though....I hope it makes it!

On the plus side, I find my tanks benefit from the occasional 95% waterchange!

blkmjk

Members
I have done that at least a dozen times.... laser focus that's what I tell myself when it's water change time.

Hope they all make it.

Drew

Jmty

Members
done that before , one more proof man are not able to multiTASK. lesson learned.I KILL AS I LEARN,getting good at it

Acpape0

Members
Every body looks like they are doing fine but the ray, I got him to move to the other side of tank but he is still staying buried in the sand but I think he will be fine....
As with all accidents there was more than one mistake that allowed it to happen.
One: I wasn't paying attention
Two : I did not put my large clip on that holds the hose at the desired height / depth of change and would cause the hose to break syphon, instead the weight of the water Weight in the gravel vac kept pulling enough hose in to the tank to allow the hose to keep sinking as the water dropped and empty the tank..
3: I wasn't paying attention
4:I wasn't paying attention
... This reaffirms my hatred of putting toys together

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

JLW

CCA Members
Could be worse. I killed a tank the other day by doing the opposite. I was trying to multitask, and went to do some invoicing while filling a tank, and somehow forgot that I was filling. Came down to find that I'd put about 60 gallons into a 10-gallon tank. At that point, I'd presumably flooded out all the prime, too. Everything dead. :-(

Also, during the same round of water changes, I discovered that prime does, indeed, go bad and lose some of its dechlorinating abilities.

My rule is never leave the room when doing water changes!

It's easy to say than to follow the rule if you have to do WC for a big tank. Baby sitting water to drain or fill a big tank for more than an hour is like watching grass to grow. A phone call, kids fight, someone knocks at the door, or wife asks for an errand can all distract one for a moment that turns into an accident.

I do not sit in front of the tank to watch water rise and fall. I set up the oven timer to beep me in every water change as if I were cooking to prevent burning.

Usually when I make a water changing mistake due to inattention, I end up emptying the water onto my wood floor as the bucket overflows . . . :(

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Glad to hear the aro and geos are ok
Rays are generally pretty sensitive but you'll be surprised what some can go through.
Keep the lights off for a little while, that has worked well for me when I've had a ray get really stressed or injured.
Good luck!

fishology

Members
i gravity drain too...and lose track of time sometimes while trying to do other stuff......and all of a sudden make a mad dash just to see everthings alright. on the other hand...a few years ago when i was an upstairs apartment dweller i had a moment while refilling a 55. i fell asleep what seemed like a minute and awoke to see my tank filled to the brim...or so I thought... water had been leaking over the back. i got awakened by my downstars neighbor knocking on my door to tell me water was coming out of her light fixture!!!!! yikes.. no more late night water changes for me.. Hope everyone recovers.

clearsky5

CCA Members
I have never done that to a big tank, however I did manage to simulate a drought in a ten gallon killie tank once.
i think there was about 3/4" of water left in places... boy were those fish
pissed off!

My problem is I can't tell you how many times I have overfilled my resevoirs as I turn the hose on the big brute cans and forget them.

guess that's not as bad as theother way.

glad your fish seem ok
david