• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

All male Apistos?

MonteSS

Members
Anyone ever try an all male Apisto tank? I have a 36" 46g that I may try putting a few in. Any thoughts?

....Bill

JasonC

Members
Did this for a while on a small scale... didn't take it as far as I wanted to though. I thought it worked pretty well. Gave me a chance to see a bunch of different apistos in one tank. Noted several things though...

1. tank needs to be *heavily* planted/decorated with a ton of hiding spots. Bullying was an issue... not awful, but could be a problem in the long term if it is not diffused, or the victim cant easily find refuge that he is comfortable with. I'm also wondering if overstocking like in a rift lake males only tank would work?
2. One per species seemed to work best for me... aggression seemed worse between like species/complexes.
3. Apistos are the type of fish where if you find a male you really like, a compulsion to find a female and move them to their own tank to breed *will* develop... or maybe that was just me?

I would be very interested in hearing your experiences if you decide to give it a try. It's something I would definitely consider playing with again in the future.

MonteSS

Members
Yeah, cichlids are cichlids and an alpha will always form.

I currently have a young A. trifaciata trio in a 24" 26g and 5 small Borelli growing out in a 10g.

....Bill

JasonC

Members
I am interested to see how it turns out. I think it has the potential to be a great tank.

It was fun... very active.. but I would go about the decor and stocking much different if I do it again. I do recommend it though...

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I think that Sam had a 40 gal apisto bachelor tank. Lots of colorful fish in there; never heard him talking about aggression being a huge deal... but it was a heavily planted 40 breeder (and most of the time, you didn't see many fish out).

JasonC

Members
I think that Sam had a 40 gal apisto bachelor tank. Lots of colorful fish in there; never heard him talking about aggression being a huge deal... but it was a heavily planted 40 breeder (and most of the time, you didn't see many fish out).

I should probably clarify that what aggression I saw was relatively mild at best... especially compared to the nastiness that some of you deal with from your fish...

would love to have seen what Sam had done with this concept... its unfortunate I did not have a chance to see his tanks before he had to break them down :(