• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Algae eaters

chriscoli

Administrator
It also depends on what kind you have. brown? bright green? dark green? blue green? stringy? hairy? flat?

Here's one of my favorite sites for figuring out what kind I have. http://www.guitarfish.org/algae Then you can decide how to fix the problem in the tank and what kind of algae eaters to deploy.

I found bristle nose good algae eater. They don't get big, so they can get into small narrow spaces and crevices to clean out algae. They also self multiple easily, so you can get more to do the work. Unless you have super aggressive cichlids, they are not bothered by cichlids because of their nocturnal habit hiding during the day and come out at night to graze algae. They don't eat black beard algae though, only green algae and slime on rock and glass.

chriscoli

Administrator
The dark green is likely Black Beard Algae (BBA). Most algae eaters won't touch it, but "true" Siamese Algae eaters (SAEs) and Amano shrimp will help it. You may need to resort to other tactics to bring its levels down so that your helpers can deal with it.

Becca

Members
Batfish has Crossochelus reticulatus (probably spelled that wrong!!!). They're a cousin of the SAE and they eat all kinds of algae. They're also super fun to watch. I actually had one follow my camera around the other day while I was trying to snap some pics and hog the spotlight. They're great in schools.

Try SEA in my cichlid tank, but they all became lunch. SEA are active during the day, and the look and skittish movement look tasty to cichlid. My cichlid don't bother bristle nose, because they hide in the rock and their look and sluggish movement make them unappetizing..